game error on other computers.

Started by
4 comments, last by Neen10do 20 years, 8 months ago
when my friend trys to run my game, she gets an error, a missing "MSVCIRTD.DLL" was not found. now since im not an idiot, im pretty sure that stands for microsoft visual c. the only thing is, i use nothing windows specific for my game (maybe bmps), but i use SDL for my API, so its nothing directx related. are there any includes (standard c++ inc files for vc6) that would cause them to need this file? im on XP and i think she uses 98. whats the deal? it works on my other system that runs ME. so i dont think its an XP issue. why would my game need that DLL if it is not windows specific? ps: i use #pragma once (which is vc6 exslusive) but isn''t that compiled into machine code? giving her that file doesnt seem to help! thanks!
----------------------i code therefore i am.Aero DX - Coming to a bored Monitor near you!
Advertisement
SDL uses DirectDraw on Windows platforms. Why not just give her the dll?

[edited by - Raloth on August 5, 2003 11:39:10 PM]
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
By the ''D'' at the end of the dll name i sense you gave her a debug exe. Don''t do that (unless you want to search for other referenced debug dlls and copy one after another).
When you installed Visual Studio/C/whatever you''ll get a lot of debug dlls in your system.
A default windows installation will only have the release versions of those, so probably she''ll have the right dll already (msvcirt.dll).

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

ok. well then i have to build a release version of my game. no problem. the only thing is that when i change the configuration to Win32 Release, i get these errors:

--------------------Configuration: AeroDX2 - Win32 Release--------------------
Compiling...
main.cpp
Linking...
MSVCRT.lib(crtexe.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _main
Release/AeroDX2.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

AeroDX2.exe - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

its acting like im in a Win32 application, not a console (and it is a console). the code compiles just fine under debug. whats thae deal with that?
----------------------i code therefore i am.Aero DX - Coming to a bored Monitor near you!
quote:Original post by Neen10do
its acting like im in a Win32 application, not a console (and it is a console).

No it''s not. It would be asking for winmain if it was. Check you don''t have any errant #ifdef _DEBUG (or some variation on that concept) in your code. Failing that, check all your project settings for both modes and see if any differ.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]
Yup, you probably added a library or two in the project, (to set up SDL or whatever), and you need to do it again now that you switched to "Release".. ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement