C/C++

Started by
55 comments, last by little_red_warrior 20 years, 8 months ago
When I started to program 3 years ago I didn''t understand anything about programming. After looking around a bit I chose C++ as my first language. Some people say that C++ is too hard for the first language, but it didn''t hurt me.

"Life is very short, and there''s no time for fussing and fighting my friend..."
"Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend..."
Advertisement
I wouldn''t say C++ is just C with classes. And as far as reading C code, I''d say it''s quite easier than looking at the STL headers ;p

I personally think learning C first is not a bad thing, especially since it will teach you many algorithms at the same time, since most people tend to use STL when they need simple stuff like linked lists, vectors and others (which is a good thing when programming, but not when learning, imho).
As for Lamothe and Carmack :

Lamothe attempts (in his last book) to make people think he knows C++ but starts with including iostream.h (commenting it''s for important stuff, very nice info thanks) then not using anything from it.

Doom 3 is C++.
Learn Scheme first. That is what they do at MIT. DO YOU THINK YOU WILL LEARN BETTER THAN MIT STUDENTS?

[edited by - flangazor on August 6, 2003 7:12:55 AM]
I started programming 12 years ago with qbasic.
Then, intriqued by the possibilities of c++, i began slowly converting my projects to the said language (with borland c++ 4).

Now, i'm a successfull freelance agent, in graphics programming.

All it took was some reading, and some practice.
Note, by 'some' i mean a lot

EDIT: not sure about the c++ version, it's so long ago...
And, i still need to read and experiment a lot

[edited by - Nik02 on August 6, 2003 7:40:06 AM]

Niko Suni

quote:Original post by little_red_warrior
I am learning c++ but it all still seems like a whole lot of gibbrish to me. Should i learn C first?

«—Ļĩŧŧłę–Ŗęđ–ЩдґґÎðr—»

Personally i don''t think it would hurt if you familiarized yourself with C before truly moving onto C++. The reason why it seems a lot like gibbrish is because you''re new to programming in general. Don''t forget, programming wasn''t ment to be easy, as they say "true programming is an art" . Besides even if it all seems like gibbrish, that''s the nature of the language for a noob, I felt the same way at first too, it takes some time to get a ''feel'' for the language, but if you ask me i think c and c++ are both beautiful languages

no theory`
no theory`
Carmack was straight C. Resently Id has now started working with C++ for Doom 3. Carmack says he sees more efficiency and structure in C++. Any way i like C and i use it alot. Athough i like the organization that OOP brings. You should stick to C++. But also learn C. They are not much different. I read C in 21 days to learn C. just basic C. But i will use C to make games. I just think that C is much simpler for game development. Also learn C++ though you will need it alot.
"Go on get out last words are for fools who have not said enough already." -- Karl Marx
C is older. Many of the features that C++ has C doesn''t support. Also, some people who learn C first develop bad coding habits. At first, I felt the same. I didn''t understand it, and would drift off because it seemed too confusing. I got C++ for Dummies, and it was a lot easier. The book isn''t dry at all, is easy to understand, and well written. Plus, it comes with GCC and rhide.

Scott Simontis
Big Joke: C#
Scott SimontisMy political blog
If you want to learn C++ there is no way in hell you should start by learning C. There just simply isn't. All the time you spend on learning C could be spend on being extra good with C++.

C is very different than C++:

In C++ you should program using the STL. C does not have the STL.
C++ is a multi-paradigm language. C is mainly procedural.
C++'s memory management is very different than C.

If you start with C, then you'd have to unlearn a plethora of stuff when moving on to C++.

Believe me, if C++ is gibberish to you, so will C be (if not more). It seems you need a good textbook on C++. Get Deitel & Deitel's "C++ How to Program". It's excellent for newbies.

So, get a good book on C++ and start coding and forget about C.

Or, as flangazor wrote, learn Scheme

"Yeah, I would've killed you, but I'm glad I didn't - the paperwork is a bitch"

[edited by - rohde on August 6, 2003 9:05:44 AM]
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
Perhaps those of you who list "C causes bad habits" in your argument against C could enumerate some of these habits? Stating that C caused bad habits isn''t enough.

Qui fut tout, et qui ne fut rien
Invader''s Realm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement