Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to cancel the enumeration process properly?

This topic is 5245 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, here I go again... As SDK states, that to enumerate a host, in case of peer2peer case, use the funtion as follows. I did, it work. Fine, no problems.

if( !FAILED( hr = m_pDP->EnumHosts(&dpAppDesc,             // pApplicationDesc

m_pHostAddress,         // pdpaddrHost

m_pDeviceAddress,       // pdpaddrDeviceInfo

NULL, 0,                // pvUserEnumData, size

4,                      // dwEnumCount

0,                      // dwRetryInterval

0,                      // dwTimeOut

NULL,                   // pvUserContext

m_pAsyncHandle,         // pAsyncHandle

DPNENUMHOSTS_SYNC) ) )  // dwFlags

But, as u can see that, there is a DPNENUMHOSTS_SYNC, in the last paramter. So, the operation get sync and if it takes longer time, then the peer enumerating, must have to wait, until it completes. Now, I wanted to change it, like to cancel the request, if the user want. Then SDK states that use CancelAsyncOperation(...), to cancel the operation. Now, since I'm new to directplay, I would like to ask a couple of questions about that. How to make this EnumHost(...) run asynchronously, like I only find 3 possible flags for the the last paramter, but none of them told me how to run it asynchronously. I tried this, CancelAsyncOpertion(...) with EnumHost(...), along with the DPNENUMHOSTS_SYNC flag in it, it worked, but then it showed another wiered behaviour. Like, if I cancel the the enumeration process, then when I try to close the application, it just froze, no errors, nothing, just froze, when I debug, then I found that the control goes to the IDirectplay8Peer::Close(), but after that, it just stuck there. Any help in this matter will be highly appricated and thanx in advance. Regards, Ejaz. [edited by - Ejaz on August 6, 2003 2:58:29 AM]

> How to make this EnumHost(...) run asynchronously, like
> I only find 3 possible flags for the the last paramter,
> but none of them told me how to run it asynchronously.

Have you tried 0 ?

> {...} control goes to the IDirectplay8Peer::Close(), but
> after that, it just stuck there.

m_pDP->CancelAsyncOperation( NULL, DPNCANCEL_ALL_OPERATIONS );
m_pDP->Close( 0 );
SAFE_RELEASE( m_pDP );

-cb

thanx cbenoi1,

It seems like, whenever I got stuck somewhere, u always wander somewhere around me and get me out of the mess.

The solution you mentioned works, like if I don''t close the connection right after the cancelation of the enumeration process, then the application got froze, but if I close it and again re-initlize it next time, then everything works fine.

Anyways, thanx for the help man, u r a life saver.

Regards,

Ejaz.