Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lun123

strange TL-vertices behaviour

I get strange behaviour when rendering TL-vertices... (1) the device is created with D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING (2) the vertex buffer is created in this way: hr = g_pd3dDevice->CreateVertexBuffer( ..., // length D3DUSAGE_WRITEONLY, // usage D3DFVF_XYZRHW | D3DFVF_DIFFUSE, // FVF D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, // pool &m_pVB, // vertex buffer NULL ); // reserved Rendering using this VB is okay. But, when I changed the device from D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING to D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING, rendering the VB shows up nothing. I run more tests, and get the following behaviour (when the vb is holding TL-vertices): device: D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING, vb: D3DPOOL_DEFAULT or D3DPOOL_MANAGED --- all okay device: D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING vb: D3DPOOL_DEFAULT --- nothing shows up vb: D3DPOOL_MANAGED --- okay Why is that?? [edited by - lun123 on August 6, 2003 8:40:09 AM]

1) Use the debug runtime and check if there are any errors or warnings reported to your debug output window

2) Try setting D3DRS_CLIPPING=FALSE. If that fixes it, then make sure you have a valid viewport and valid (sensible with respect to what your XYZRHW vertices say) projection matrix.

3) If none of your XYZRHW stuff ever goes outside of the viewport, leave D3DRS_CLIPPING as FALSE anyway. It''ll prevent D3D or the chip needing to back transform (i.e. by the inverse of the projection - which is why it needs to be valid) to clip.

4) Never *assume* anything about defaults either. Set *known* values for all states that matter to you. Even if you don''t think that particular primitive uses them.

--
Simon O''Connor
ex -Creative Asylum
Programmer &
Microsoft MVP