Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BETA 0.1 Released

This topic is 5147 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Turt''s Puzzle Blocks multi-platform puzzle game, designed for both Linux and Windows. Turt''s Puzzle Blocks is also the current project of Turt99 Productions. The goal of the project is to gain experience C++ and Object Oriented Design, as well as to help in the learn process of Linux as a development platform. Turt''s Puzzle Blocks is created using KDevelop 2.1 under Linux Redhat 9.0, and uses the SDL libraries. SDL was chosen because it is a multi-platform library that would allow the seamless development for 2 operating systems. SDL main library supplies the support for the windows and the display, but Turt''s Puzzle Blocks also uses two additional SDL libraries SDL_image and SDL_Mixer. SDL_image supports the use for PNG and TGA files, which allows for Alpha blending and results in clean lines and smooth graphics. SDL_mixer is used for playing sounds and the background music. Please visit www.turt99.com for more information, screenshots and to Download Turt''s Puzzle Blocks. Let me know if it runs for you, and feel free to give any suggestions for new features or things that may make it better. *NOTE* I tried this message in the Annoucements forums and didn''t get any response. So I have deleted that post and created a new one.. If the mods need to they can move it back though. Please visit Turt99 Productions

I''m a little confused, I can see that this post is generating traffic to my site, so I''m going to assume that people are trying the game out, but I have yet to get any feedback on how it runs on anyones computer or how people like the game.

I''m wondering if there is a problem with the downloads or something or maybe just maybe people are so hooked they can''t stop playing

Well I''m just waiting for some feedback and I hope to hear some good news, but even bad news would let me know that people are trying it..

Please visit Turt99 Productions

quote:
Original post by Pipo DeClown
Cool, but it''s not a puzzle game. It''s more like a clicking game

Good point, The Puzzle part will hopefully come later with the future game modes.. I''m glad it worked for someone else..

Not bad, there isn''t much skill involved as you could just bash the button and do just as good.

I think I got to level 7 maybe turning 8 and the game just closed down on me. Is that meant to happen?

quote:
Original post by EvilKind
Not bad, there isn't much skill involved as you could just bash the button and do just as good.

I think I got to level 7 maybe turning 8 and the game just closed down on me. Is that meant to happen?

You right there isn't a ton of skil involved, I'm hoping that when I add other types of blocks such as color changing, and bombs and stuff there will be more skill. Although I don't really see it ever be a totally skill game..

No the game shouldn't just quit.. I'll make a note of that problem but I think I'll need more information on it to find the problem. There are buttons that will quit the game, and they don't have any warning message on them they just quit the game so you may have clicked one of them before you noticed.. not sure.

*EDIT* - I just looked and yeah there is a quit button on the level change screen that is just at the edge of the game play screen so you may have just clicked it as it went to change the level. and BTW if you made it to level 7 or 8 congrats thats pretty high

[edited by - Turt99 on August 6, 2003 2:08:22 PM]

Well I''m going to take the fact that there are not alot of complaints that the game is working okay for those that are trying it..

Anyone else have any comments or suggestions for improvement?

Also what are the feelings for the design of the webpage. I was going for a very simple and clean look..

I hope that all that have try Turt''s Puzzle Blocks are enjoying it..

I am resurrecting your original post because I can see that you are having trouble getting feedback on your game. I am sure that many of us can understand the frustration of spending months on a project only to get very minimal feedback. That said, I had a chance to try your game and here are some random thoughts:

1) The graphics are neat and clean and very well done for this type of game.

2) The game should be full screen; currently it looks to be in a window that is only 640 by 480.

3) The intro screen has two much white (or in this case black) space; you could probably add an animation similar to the top of your web site.

4) The game needs to be more strategic and less of a click fest; this could be time by imposing a time penalty on the user when the click an invalid block.

5) Speaking of click fests; you have to remove the quit button from between the levels as I clicked it a number of times by mistake ending the game.

6) The help screen should return to the main menu; currently you can only start or exit the game.

7) You should only be able to exit the game from the main menu; all other exit game buttons should return the user to the main menu. You want them to keep playing so they can get addicted, not exit by mistake after a few minutes and never play again.

8) The music is good; it reminds me of CIV III. Although, you may want to give people the option to disable the music and keep the sound so it doesn’t drive them crazy over time. Another suggestion would be to alter the sound between levels.

9) You need to enhance the user reward in the game; currently the only thing that keeps a user playing the game is the challenge of getting to the next level. Add some cut scenes similar to Pac Man so that the user is more heavily rewarded for playing the game. Users may not care is they get to level ten, but they may want to see the cut scene at level ten. You may want to keep the user updated between levels to the number of levels remaining to the next cut scene.

In conclusion, you may find that there just isn’t a large enough target audience for this type of game and you have exceeded the 80 / 20 rule. Meaning that, the return on investment for changing the game will not enhance the game enough to increase the number of people playing the game. I hope that my comments were helpful; and I congratulate you on a well done and completed game. That is more than can be said by most people.

[edited by - Sean Doherty on November 11, 2003 12:34:06 PM]

Wow thank you very much for all the comments.. I know for a fact that you played the Windows version cause I have fixed quite a few of those problems in the new Linux version that is out.. you can find a a link to that version in the news of my site..

The only major thing that I haven''t added yet is cut scene''s which I''m thinking would be fun to add.. and would be a great addition to the VS. mode that I have recently added to the game..

Thanks again for all the comments.. and I hope you''ll keep playing the future versions