Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Capturing a webcam image to memory

This topic is 5241 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m working on a project for my college where I''m using a webcam to capture an image to use for a robotic vision system. The only way that I''ve found to do this is with DirectShow, but it has to save the image to the harddrive and then I have to load that image into memory to manipulate it. This gives me a processing rate of about 6 images per second. I am trying to get real time (at least 30 images per second.) Does anyone know of a way to capture a webcam image straight to memory?

I've never tried this, but to save to your own video format with DS you have to create your own mux filter. So, create your own filter and just have it save the data to memory instead of a file.

To be honest with you I don't know how those types of filters work, but I imagine they are called by DS every x frames (or as fast as it can if there's slowdown somewhere) so just redirect the data your filter gets to memory, instead of a file.

Edit:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directx9_c/directx/htm/directshow.asp?frame=true

Look there under Using DirectShow->Video Capture, there's a blurb about saving to a custom format that mentions it. Look around elsewhere in that area on actually writing your own filter.

------------
- outRider -

[edited by - outRider on August 6, 2003 11:59:52 AM]