Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Debugging MIDlets

This topic is 5241 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I´m using Eclipse and J2ME Wireless Toolkit to develop MIDlets. Currently, in order to debug them, I´m spreading System.out.println like a maniac in my code. Needless to say .... not very eficient. How do you debug your MIDlets? How can you debug line by line like done in VisualC++ 6 by pressing f10 repeatedly?

Well, that''s the method I''ve been using and it''s worked OK until now (I recently did Monopoly for Hasbro). Although, I use the C preprocessor and:
#define DEBUG_PRINT(message) System.out.println (message)
to allow me to remove them all easily. It''s also a bit more efficent to use #define to declare constants rather than final member variables (but you lose type checking).
There is a way to use SunONE IDE to do line by line debugging, but I beleive that the phone manufacturer''s SDK/Emulator needs to somehow interact correctly. I don''t use SunONE as my PC is getting a bit old now, so I''m afraid I can''t help much more than this.

Skizz