Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2DamnFunky

DX9 files to download

2DamnFunky    122
hi there, i need to get access to only a few libary files from the sdk and associated header files such as dinput.h/lib etc and as im on a 56k modem i really dont want to download the full sdk (It takes around 2 hours on broad band so im not going to bother with the modem). Is there anywhere hosting the individual modules? I chekced microsofts download section and it just seemed to offer the full package. Any info appreciated

KalvinB    102
www.icarusindie.com in the DevZone you can download just the files from any of the SDKs you want. It requires an All Access Pass which is $1 for 30 days.

Currenty the server is down due to Qwest being run by incompetent boobs who can''t do their job. It should be back up later today.

Ben

[ IcarusIndie.com | recycledrussianbrides.com ]

KalvinB - (to Jessika) do you accept Jesus as your lord and savior

Jessika - Sure I can accept all forms of payment.

Pipo DeClown    804
quote:
Original post by KalvinB
www.icarusindie.com in the DevZone you can download just the files from any of the SDKs you want. It requires an All Access Pass which is $1 for 30 days.

Currenty the server is down due to Qwest being run by incompetent boobs who can''t do their job. It should be back up later today.

Ben

I don''t really like services which you have to pay for. Even if they''re cheap.

.lick

KalvinB    102
"I don''t really like services which you have to pay for. Even if they''re cheap."

Don''t you just hate it when department stores don''t let you walk out with merchandise you didn''t pay for?

This will obviously come as a shock but it costs money to offer services and that money has to come from somewhere.

I don''t care to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars a month just so you can have something for "free."

Unfortunatly for you everyone bitches about ads too and do everything in their power to make sure web-sites can''t profit from those either. Ads havn''t been a viable source of income since 1996. Since I hate ads anyway, I opted for the "customer pays" approach which all major sites are now doing. If you don''t want to pay then go "shop" somewhere else or hope you run into a "here today, gone tommorrow" server.

Welcome to the year 2003.

Ben

KalvinB    102
The other problem with temp servers is that their owners tend to not bother (or are just completely clueless about how to set things up) to check to see that their files can actually be downloaded.

Which in this case, they can''t because Lycos doesn''t do remote linking for anything. You need a link on your Lycos site to the files.

Ben

KalvinB    102
"Why would you pay for something that you can''t even physically touch."

Hmmm...which one:

A) Oh, you''ve met the bandwidth fairy, too!

B) Yeah, like a domain name, an internet connection, cable, a movie, concerts, sporting events, insurance, etc etc. Paying for things you can''t touch is so silly.

C) Then I guess you don''t need those files then. You can''t touch them so they have no value.

Your objection is moot anyway since, as I said, all major websites are starting to charge the customers and people are paying. GameDev is going to a subscription model as well. There is exactly no other alternative.

You can bitch about it all you want but this is the way the real world works. And looking at the success I''ve had with subcriptions it''s not going to change. I can just imagine how much very large sites are making.

Ben

flery    186
As long as there are free sources why should anyone pay even if u have to ask someone to send the files to you.

IllMind    122
I just think its messed up that he is essentially selling Microsoft''s files. Now I realize you offer alot of other things as well, but if i would ask where I could get dinput.h and .lib, I would not want someone to say... Pay me a dollar and i''ll give it to you, when there are 100''s of people here who could simply just email the things to me in less then a minute of their time. (dinput.h = 223kb dinput.lib = 18kb). I just think that you shouldn''t of said anything rather then offer an advertisment, it''s like spam email, or some guy trying to sell you a vaccum cleaner at your doorstep when you are eating dinner and dont want one anyway.

KalvinB    102
"I just think its messed up that he is essentially selling Microsoft''s files."

You mean like how RedHat "sells Linux?" I''m not selling the files. I''m selling access to the files. There''s a very distinct legal and technological difference. And MS has no problem with redistributing the SDK. You just don''t get to bitch to MS if it doesn''t work if you didn''t get it from them. It voids whatever warrenty they have.

"As long as there are free sources why should anyone pay even if u have to ask someone to send the files to you."

If you can find somewhere else to get what you want, great. I offer one stable method that will always be available.

"I just think that you shouldn''t of said anything rather then offer an advertisment"

Nobody cares what you think. Someone asked where they could get the files, and I told them one location. It was entirely appropriate for the thread.

The short version is I make money. Gamedev will make lots of money. All sites that do subscriptions and have content people want make money. Your argument is as idiotic as claiming Something Awful shouldn''t charge for it''s forums because everyone and their grandma has a forum.

So you can bitch and moan all you you want but nothing will change. I''ve already been through all the objections a few times before. The largest discussion being when I started the All Access Pass back in January. You have no valid legal or otherwise objection to what I''m doing.

So, get over it. Some people would rather pay a buck and get access to a wealth of information than hunt down a random site or person on the net that may or may not actually have at the least just the file they wanted.

The reason I locked down the SDKs was because I was doing 50GB of transfer a month from people downloading them from my site. So obviously they have a value. If you don''t think they''re worth $1 then explain to me why I should care?

Let''s see,

I make it free and I lose all my bandwidth to leeches and make no money.

I change a small access fee and I gain most of my bandwidth back and make money.

That''s a real tough choice.

Ben

UltimaX    468
A) "I make it free and I lose all my bandwidth to leeches and make no money."

Greedy SOB.

B) Why pay when there are people like Ilankt who are kind enough to lend a helping hand?

C) I don''t think it would hurt you to send 2DamnFunky a 6.4 MB zip. You just want that extra dollar in your pocket. I would tell you where you shove your money but I''m feeling a little nice today.

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

Pipo DeClown    804
Look, the thing is, the files are FREE. I don''t like the idea your service makes his costumers PAY for something that is FREE, just because you make the files smaller. I''d ask friend to download it for me if I had a low b/w.

.lick

KalvinB    102
"I don''t like the idea your service makes his costumers PAY for something that is FREE"

You mean how like RedHat charges for Linux which is FREE.

"Greedy SOB."

Oh yes, I''m so greedy. I pay a nice chunk of change for my bandwidth and then charge an access fee for things which would take it all up if it were free. I should spend thousands of dollars a month out of my pocket and then give all my bandwidth away. I was literally unable to browse the net before I went to subscriptions thanks to leeches. Why should I beable to browse the net on a connection I paid for? There are so many needy people who need it more than I do. How dare Slashdot, GameDev, Fileplanet, Something Awful, etc etc etc ad nausium.

Arguing is pointless. Random clueless kiddies on the net aren''t going to change anything. If you don''t like it, too bad. That''s the long and short of it. I make money, the model works, if you can find the files for free elsewhere, good for you. Meanwhile I can actually utilize my connection I PAID FOR.

Wake up and smell reality. I don''t owe the world hundreds of dollars worth of bandwidth every month.

Ben

Pipo DeClown    804
The downloadsites you mentioned aren''t asking for money, yes they ask but not directly. You can choose to wait a 30 minutes to a few hours till your download is available. But when it is, it''s 100% free.

.lick

KalvinB    102
The main goal I had in mind when starting to charge for access to various parts of my site was simply to cut back on bandwidth usage. So by going elsewhere to get files you still benefit me in that I save money and my site runs faster for everyone else.

And considering I have nearly half a million files on my server as well as free anonymous FTP it''s not surprising it hasn''t affected my Alexa rating any.

You pretending you''ve done something spectacular by finding something I have somewhere else is like walking into Wal Mart and ranting and raving about how you found a pixie stick for 10 cents down the street when they were charging 25. Go you!

"You can choose to wait a 30 minutes to a few hours till your download is available."

And why do you think FilePlanet, Geocities, Tripod, Lycos ad nauseum are raking in money? The leeches are forced to utilize a highly limited service (the whole wait in line thing allows them to cap bandwidth usage per day allowed saving thousands) and on top of that, support them with a lucritive ad system. They can charge a premium to companies to put an ad up because they get millions of people seeing them.

And the people who pay, get top of the line service and support the company. And hundreds of thousands or millions do.

Ben

IllMind    122
quote:
Original post by IllMind
Now I realize you offer alot of other things as well, but if i would ask where I could get dinput.h and .lib, I would not want someone to say... Pay me a dollar and i'll give it to you, when there are 100's of people here who could simply just email the things to me in less then a minute of their time. (dinput.h = 223kb dinput.lib = 18kb).

quote:
]Original post by IllMind
it's like spam email, or some guy trying to sell you a vaccum cleaner at your doorstep when you are eating dinner and dont want one anyway.

Here are a couple lines you might have missed. If your going to respond using quotes, you best get them all, and in context or else people might do this...

quote:
Original post by KalvinB
Oh yes, I'm so greedy.

You said it yourself...

Now my main point is that of morality. Like i said before its like spam. Many if not most of the posts are from young people who cant even buy a cigar from a tobacco shop or even drive a car yet. Remember seeing 100's of posts from people want free tutorials because they cant even afford to buy a book. I know I see them every day. I would also have to think that some one with a 56k modem might either not have enough money to afford a better service, or not be old enough to get a better service, or possible lives out in the middle of nowhere. So yeah you offer a service to pay for your bandwidth... great, but why are you trying to get us to pay for your bandwith? Can't you find legitate customers instead of prowling the message board looking for people who need just .0001% of what you offer?

quote:
Original post by KalvinB
Nobody cares what you think.

I think you shouldnt speak for other people, that is also unethical, lest i start saying "Everyone hates your greedyness". Atleast I have more evidence for the truth of my statement then you have of yours.

Go ahead, quote away junk email spammer... BTW you owe me a dollar to pay for my cable service because i used it to respond to this post, somebodys gotta pay for it and its not going to be me!

[edited by - IllMind on August 7, 2003 4:11:17 PM]

UltimaX    468
quote:
Original post by IllMind
BTW you owe me a dollar to pay for my cable service because i used it to respond to this post, somebodys gotta pay for it and its not going to be me!

LOL

BTW:
I'm not going to argue with you Kevin. Just in case you forgot though, there is a thing called "free will." Nobody is holding a gun to your making you spend "thousands" of dollars on a crappy service. By crappy I mean... What did you call them? Oh yeah, "incompetent boobs." So I don't want to hear you cry about it. Deal with it!

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

[edited by - UltimaX on August 7, 2003 7:40:49 PM]

KalvinB    102
"I''m not going to argue with you Kevin."

Who''s Kevin?

"Nobody is holding a gun to your making you spend "thousands" of dollars on a crappy service"

Who''s spending thousands on crappy service?

"Now my main point is that of morality."

Oh, so now it''s "immoral" to give a solution to a problem. That''s an interesting philosophy you''ve got there.

"but why are you trying to get us to pay for your bandwith?"

When did that happen?

Let''s review:

Did I say how much I was paying for my bandwidth: no
Did I say how much I was making: no

This was just a very general discussion about why sites charge for content. Then a couple little kiddies including yourself and UltimaX decided to get your pull ups in a wad.

"You said it yourself..."

It''s called sarcasm twit.

"Can''t you find legitate customers"

You mean like posting in a thread where someone is looking for something and I have exactly what they''re looking for? Are you really this dense or do you just pretend on the intardnet?

"I know I see them every day."

That''s beautiful. *tear*

Ben

KalvinB    102
"BTW you owe me a dollar to pay for my cable service because i used it to respond to this post, somebodys gotta pay for it and its not going to be me!"

What does that have to do with anything I''m doing? And who said I wasn''t going to pay for my bandwidth?

If you want to try to convince people to pay for your posts by all means go ahead. If you manage to cover your internet costs, good for you.

This thread is just another fine example of why posting on GameDev is getting to be more pointless every day. Too many training pants running around.

Ben

Will post for food.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by KalvinB
Currenty the server is down due to Qwest being run by incompetent boobs who can''t do their job.

Nobody cares what you think.

So you can bitch and moan all you you want but nothing will change.

<sarcasm>
Is this the way you deal with most people? If so, you must surely be raking in the customers. Makes me wonder why you need to advertise your services on gamedev.
</sarcasm>

KalvinB    102
I treat people how they demonstrate they should be treated. I didn't attack anyone until they decided to ignorantly attack me and you're just another pathetic member who's of so little value you can't put your name on your posts.

If you want to be an anonymous troll I'll treat you like one. Your just another example of the braindead visitors that are becomming more and more active on this site.

"Makes me wonder why you need to advertise your services on gamedev."

That's because you're braindead. I advertise wherever appropriate as does any sensible business/webmaster. Do you think that people just magically learn about my site from the advertisement fairy? I think the ad fairy is close friends with the bandwidth fairy. Maybe you can confirm that.

Ben

Will post for food.

[edited by - KalvinB on August 7, 2003 10:00:52 PM]