Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ice-T

New versions of Direct X

Whenever a new version of DirectX comes out, how do you update your knowledge? For example, when DirectDraw and Direct3D were mixed together, how can you learn the new code required?

Most of the time, the changes aren''t that great.

There''s only really been two *big* changes over the years:

1) The introduction of DrawPrimitive instead of Execute Buffers in DirectX 5

2) The API clean up, merging of DD & D3D and introduction of shaders in DirectX 8

The other changes have been pretty minor in comparison.

For those I usually start with the "What''s New" section of the docs and the Readme file. Just to get an overview of what''s likely to affect me or my code.

From there I look closely at the docs for the individual changes to see how things differ between versions - what new features I get, why the change makes sense etc.

After that it''s on to the sample code. For major API/setup changes, the Tutorial samples are a good place to get the hang of things. Then move on to the samples.

Finally I try retrofitting an old application of my own or creating a simple application from scratch.

Real knowledge of caveats, tricks etc only comes from actually using those features - and will take time!.

--
Simon O''Connor
ex -Creative Asylum
Programmer &
Microsoft MVP

Most little changes probably won''t effect you anyway. I''m still using books for DirectX 8 because it tends to be the more advanced things that I haven''t got up to learning yet that gets changed. The basic things you need in all programs don''t tend to change at all because they had to get them right first.