• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sfpiano

Creating a psuedo-language using #defines

This topic is 5585 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve seen a bunch of demos where the programmers have kind of written their own language for their game using #defines. But I don''t understand certain aspects of this. Like how they completely get rid of braces. I understand you can do #define Blah(a) if(a){ , but I don''t understand how the ending brace gets accounted for.

Advertisement
I think the real question you should be asking yourself is why people do this sort of crap.

To answer your question:
#define begin {
#define end }

void f()
begin
end

That should be legal.

I think C+ is fine. I tried it, but I used typedefs. It turned out okay, but was useless.

Scott Simontis
Big Joke: C#

There are some instances where it's nice. I wouldn't venture a whole 'language' out of macros, but you can do some creative and useful things with them. Say you're defining a language parser, and want similar keywords and enumerated values. You can write a separate token file that contains nothing but definitions like:

TOK( if )
TOK( else )

Your parser can use these defs by #defining TOK one way, and the interpreter can use them by #defining TOK another way:

//script.h
#define TOK( sym ) TOK_##sym,
enum {
#include "tokens.h"
TOK_LastEntry };
#undef TOK

//script.cpp
#define TOK( sym ) hr = m_Parser.AddKeyword( string( #sym ), TOK_##sym ); if( FAILED( hr ) ) return hr;
#include "tokens.h"
#undef TOK

One of the game gems books has a few good examples of this. I use it a lot. It actually makes things more readable, because the token defs are all in one place. I'm sure some people would disagree.

I like pie.

[edited by - RenderTarget on August 6, 2003 9:58:38 PM]

quote:
Original post by Village Specialton
I think C+ is fine. I tried it, but I used typedefs. It turned out okay, but was useless.

WTF is "C+" and what do typedefs have to do with anything?

Guest Anonymous Poster
anonymous.c

A good example of an x86 emulator using #defines to sort of come up with the authors own language used in main().

PS: Those IOCCC guys are freaks! My god the code is beyond description. Not so much the link above but of the others. One guy wrote a program that used 1 C keyword...'char' and that was it.

here's a link to a nice little flight sim (1536 bytes of code)

banks.c

Sorry for the cross post but the #defining a custon language reminded me of the obfuscated C contest.

[edit: enabled hyperlink]

[edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on August 6, 2003 12:20:54 AM]

I wasn''t talking about re-writing the entire, language, just creating a psuedo-one for a few tasks. I would like to ust it so save typing. Instead of if(blah.k()==q || g.k()==q)), I could have ifDef(q, q). Here''s an example I was trying to go from:

.cpp file

BeginStateMachine

OnMsg( MSG_DestroyMachine )
m_Owner->MarkLastMachineForRemoval();

OnMsg( MSG_CheckOccupancy )
if (m_Owner->NextTileOccupied())
SetState( STATE_WAITING );

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
State( STATE_INIT )
OnEnter
m_timer = 0;
SetState( STATE_FINDINGPATH );

OnUpdate
m_timer++;

OnExit
m_timer = 0;

.h file

#define BeginStateMachine if( state < 0 ) { char statename[64] = "STATE_Global"; if(0) {
#define EndStateMachine return( true ); } } else { assert( 0 && "Invalid State" ); return( false ); } return( false );
#define State(a) return( true ); } } else if( a == state ) { char statename[64] = #a; if(0) {
#define OnMsg(a) return( true ); } else if( EVENT_Message == event && msg && a == msg->GetMsgName() ) { g_debuglog.LogStateMachineEvent( m_Owner->GetID(), msg, statename, #a, true );
#define OnEvent(a) return( true ); } else if( a == event ) { g_debuglog.LogStateMachineEvent( m_Owner->GetID(), msg, statename, #a, true );
#define OnUpdate OnEvent( EVENT_Update )
#define OnEnter OnEvent( EVENT_Enter )
#define OnExit OnEvent( EVENT_Exit )

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!