Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

try_catch_this

trouble with glaux

After searching the internet and gamedev several times I’m still a little confused. I cant seem to verify if glaux.dll exists and if so is it really necessary to run opengl apps using aux routines. I have seen this question asked several times all over the internet but as I said before I cant seem to find a definite anwser. By the way I am now using dev c++. Here are my questions. 1) Does glaux.dll exist 2) If so do I really need it to use bitmap loading routines. ( I hear its obsolete ) 3) If it does exist, WHERE DO I GET IT? 4) Can I use the glaux library with the mingw compiler? thanks

Don''t use glaux, its outdated and buggy. If you want to load images, try one of the many free image loading libraries out there such as DevIL.

I use it. Don''t worry if its old. You can always replace it with something else. I see no problems in it. I don''t use the DLL version to save space, as every end user must have the DLL. But, it seems to be faster and more common.

Scott Simontis
Big Joke: C#

quote:
Lazyness is no reason to continue to use a buggy lib when there are so many quality replacements to use

Thanks for nothing...

NeHe uses glaux in alot of his code and so do alot of other tutorials on the internet.

I want to be able to use the tutorials as they are then modify them later.

quote:

as every end user must have the DLL.

Running a search on my harddrive shows up nothing.

I have win xp service pack 1, and all the hot fixes.

So I ask again.

1) Does glaux.dll exist - (I am still not sure)
2) If so do I really need it to use bitmap loading routines.
( I hear its obsolete )
3) If it does exist, WHERE DO I GET IT?
4) Can I use the glaux library with the mingw compiler?

(1): Not on my computer, at least. I have been using glaux with VC++ without any problems; it seems to have a statically linked version. Dev-C++ comes with a glaux import library, but no DLL.

(2): No, but it is simpler, at least at first. Try NeHe lessons 24 & 41 for alternative image loading code.

(3): Don''t know; sorry.

(4): Yes, if you can find glaux.h and glaux.dll. Dev-C++ comes with the import library, but not the header or dll. I tried using the glaux.h that comes with VC++ with it, and it compiled perfectly, but didn''t run, as it needs glaux.dll, which I don''t have, and couldn''t find when I looked for it.

You can get glaux pretty easily if you know where to look, look in here the file is in the download section is called opengl95.exe. Anyway is true you shouldn't use glaux so after you learn a little more try finding an alternative.

[edited by - FtMonkey on August 7, 2003 4:14:32 AM]

1) yes
2) no but it migth be easier at first... ( later look at www.imagelib.org )
3) http://decoder.dk/prog/download/ <-- you can get glaux.dll from there...
4) I've had no problems with that so far..

/Please excuse my bad spelling - My native language is binary not english
|Visit me
\Take my advice - I don't use it...

[edited by - guppy on August 7, 2003 4:17:25 AM]

You can also check out this Sweet Snippet(shameless plug) to use a replacement for glaux.

At the end of the article, it shows you how to use it for OpenGL.

First make it work,
then make it fast.

--Brian Kernighan

"I’m happy to share what I can, because I’m in it for the love of programming. The Ferraris are just gravy, honest!" --John Carmack: Forward to Graphics Programming Black Book