• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Me again!

This topic is 6444 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, iget it, but my DJGPP just does not work right with the RHIDE IDE. Okay, so what? I suppose I could use notepad then use DJGPP. And investing in Borland was the worst thing i ever did, perhaps, beside getting Turbo Pascal, that is.

Advertisement
Hey don''t knock Turbo Pascal, I wrote my first game in that, and I''ve still got the printed source code.

Don''t you think it''s easier to be proficient in language rather than in 2 or more? While you might be able to translate code you might be rather unclear when coding.

In all honesty, once you know 1 procedural language the others are pretty much the same - you just have syntax to learn. Same for Object Oriented languages, more or less. For example, I learned with BBC Basic, and then moved on to Pascal. Pascal was very easy to learn since BBC Basic is very structured (if used properly, anyway). Borland brought out Object Pascal, which was a bit tricky until I figured out just how neat objects really are. Moving to C++ and Java was really easy once I had those concepts down. It really is just a matter of looking at similarities in style.

Another good example came from work this afternoon. I''d never touched Perl before, but I wrote a CGI mail script in it (with the aid of a reference manual) in about an hour because it was sufficiently C-like to be intuitive.

So, I''d say its well worth learning as many languages as possible!

I could have sworn it was a crime to call Perl ''intuitive''..

• Advertisement