VB question...

Started by
3 comments, last by Syrus22 20 years, 8 months ago
Hmmm I''m not too new to programming but pretty new to game programming so I never thought of this before. Is there anyway to take all the graphics and data files in the game and put them in a single file that the program can read. I know most big game companies do this and I was just wondering if it was possible to do with vb. If you don''t understand what I am talking about a good example would be Ragnarok Online if anyone here plays. All the graphics and such are stored in a file called data.grf.
Advertisement
Use a .DLL file. I have never used it, but flipcode has a good article on it. Or, make your own format. You can always use hidden folders. Or encoding.

Scott Simontis
Big Joke: C#
Scott SimontisMy political blog
I would imagine that is possible with any language so long as you know how to read file, how they are stored etc. Try looking up someinfo on file formats, or create your own.

However if you''ve just started game prgoramming I''d imagine you haven''t made anything big enough to warrent this kind of storage. Maybe you should concerntrate on learning graphics apis some more.

-J
quote:Original post by Village Specialton
Use a .DLL file. I have never used it, but flipcode has a good article on it. Or, make your own format. You can always use hidden folders. Or encoding.

Scott Simontis
Big Joke: C#

DLL files are genrally for code, not images and resources. they store libary function that other programs can use.

-J
A dynamically linkable library (DLL)wouldn't help in any way, but I guess that's to be expected from someone with "Big Joke: C#" as their signature. Anyway, what you need is to include your images as resource files, in other words the data will all be stored within the .exe file itself.

EDIT: ANd WTF encoding?? How would that help?

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on August 6, 2003 8:53:20 PM]
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement