• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Verminaard

D3D zbuffer

This topic is 6689 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does D3DX create a z-buffer for you when you call CreateContextEx()? Looking at the DX7 help files it seems like it should, yet there seems to be no z-buffer in my world after using CreateContextEx.

Advertisement
Then something is seriously screwed up... It seems to work fine, but every so often things that are behind and shouldn''t be seen pop in front. The hardware device I''m enumerating is not very good at all (i think it only does 2d). so could this be the reason? Does the hardware do the z-buffer, or is it the software?

You can use the Dx Caps Viewer to view the z buffer capablitlies..or you can use the GetCaps function

Z-buffering can cause artifacts similar to what you describe.

This is because z does not vary linearly in screen space, I believe 90% of the z-buffer precision is used in the first 10% of the screen (I''m not sure if these are the exact correct numbers.)

An alternative is w-buffering, which does vary linearly, but may exhibit artifacts on objects close to the viewer, and is not available on all cards.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!