Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

polygonal batching

This topic is 5242 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok! i was wondering how u all batch ur polygons into groups? i noe there is a need to check for face normals ~<5 degrees and connectivity. but do u only generate the batches based on adjacency infomation of the first polygon? or throughout all the polygons in the current batch? need some clarifications... thx! edwinz

Each model has a bunch of faces, each assigned a material. Split the model into seperate pieces for material (but still share vertices among pieces if they can be shared). Then for each piece, either make that into a trilist, or run through a tristriper, to obtain a tristrip, and a triangle list (for faces that don''t strip without excessive degenerates).

Then if you''re creating a static world, you may take several of these strips and lists that share materials and combine them into a larger batched polygon soup, each pretransformed in software.

For small dynamic objects (such as quads for particles), you may group by material and then software transform them each frame, and send as a minimal number of batches with dynamic buffers.

Your mention of normals is confusing though. Do you mean how do you decide if faces share vertices and therefore affect the same normal? That''s normally not what batching refers to, but that''s the only thing I can think of that you might mean.

If that is what you mean, then, well, 3DSMax handles that for me (well, for our artists, anyway). It judges that based on smoothing groups. Each face is part of a smoothing group. Each group has a maximum angle before normals are considered unique. Usually the default angle is 89.5 degrees, but it''s changable. So, a cube remains sharp, but a hill, or a character''s face, will have averaged normals and appear smooth.

*NOTE, I''m not 100% certain on how polys are divided into smoothing groups. I''m not an artist, I''ve never a recent modeller, but I know these options are there somewhere.