Level editors?

Started by
3 comments, last by Kamahl 20 years, 8 months ago
I''m extremely new to programming and game development, but I''m determined to learn. I am understanding that C++, DirectX SDK, and animation programs are required to make video games. I also understand that these three things are very hard to learn. The difficulty aside, I''m wondering how developers create levels/terrains/whatever you wanna call it. Correct me if I''m wrong, but it''s like this: C++ is the language (most) developers use to make the game loop and all of that. DirectX is the way you access the hardware to write the images, sounds, etc to the game. And of course the animation programs (Maya, Blender, etc) are used to make the character models and other images for the game. Is that correct? And how does one design a 3D level/world/terrain as I asked above? Any help is appreciated..Thanks.
Advertisement
to create levels you can create half-life/quake-like maps using a very powerful editor called WorldCraft, but most game studios write their own (well now adays more and more are simply writing plugins for maya and max to generate their levels). Hopes that answer s your question!

Good luck in your long road to being a game developer.
I eat heart attacks
Can valves WorldCraft aka Hammer editor be used commercially? For example I create a whole new engine, game, but I use hammer to create levels, can it be sold commercially?
----Me: So do you know any computer languages?Friend: Ummm....yeah, I used to know l337 talk.Me: ok....
writing your own isn''t as hard as it sounds, it does take a long time though.
C++ is used for the abse game code. C++ is sued to make the basic game engine, and control the APIs. DirectX is not a program but an SDK. An SDK is a Software Development Kit. It contains all you need to build a complete program. An API is an Application Programming Interface. It controls one aspect of the process, like graphics, input, or networking. You also use middleware. Middleware is software developed by other companies that simplifies the process of a part of development. For example, AI middleware allows a designer or programmer to easily build the AI. Maya, Blender, and 3D Studio Max are 3D modelers. These are pretty simple, but depend on which one you use. These create the game art. You also user 2D programs, like Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro to make 2D art assets and textures. You don''t have to use C. YOu may also use scripting languages such as Perl or Python to speed up development. Assembley is commonly used when something must be accomplished quickly. These are only the primary tools, but game development can take anything from servers to office suites.

Scott Simontis
Big Joke: C#
Scott SimontisMy political blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement