I feel quite stupid asking this...

Started by
21 comments, last by TheNerd Tk421 20 years, 8 months ago
...But how do i get a picture..backing up...i had made a blank windows app... i wanna know how i could add a background picture to it..heres the code: #include <windows.h> #define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN #define WINDOWNAME "My soon to be game" HWND hWnd; LRESULT CALLBACK WindowProcedure(HWND hWnd, UINT msg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam) { switch(msg) { case WM_DESTROY: PostQuitMessage(0); return 0; } return DefWindowProc(hWnd, msg, wParam, lParam); } int PASCAL WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrev, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int Cmd) { MSG msg; WNDCLASS wClass; wClass.style =CS_HREDRAW|CS_VREDRAW; wClass.lpfnWndProc =WindowProcedure; wClass.cbClsExtra =0; wClass.cbWndExtra =0; wClass.hInstance =hInstance; wClass.hIcon =LoadIcon(hInstance,IDI_APPLICATION); wClass.hCursor =LoadCursor(NULL,IDC_ARROW); wClass.hbrBackground =(HBRUSH)(COLOR_WINDOW-2); wClass.lpszMenuName =NULL ; wClass.lpszClassName =WINDOWNAME; RegisterClass(&wClass); hWnd = CreateWindow(WINDOWNAME, WINDOWNAME, WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW, CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT, 800, 600, NULL, NULL, hInstance, NULL); if(hWnd==NULL) return FALSE; else { ShowWindow (hWnd, Cmd); UpdateWindow(hWnd); } while(GetMessage(&msg,NULL,0,0)) { TranslateMessage(&msg); DispatchMessage (&msg); } return msg.wParam; } .... i want to have an image instead of (HBRUSH)(COLOR_WINDOW-2).. i like blue.. but if i make a game.. it wont be fun as it is
Advertisement
if you''re trying to makea game read up on directX. that is waht every one uses for graphics in games, not windows dialog boxes.....
Hmm... and I suppose you don''t think of OpenGL users as human?
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
ya, but does opengl do 2d as well as 3d?
i am god!
quote:Original post by headshot
ya, but does opengl do 2d as well as 3d?

Ummm Yes! It's called an orthographic projection matrix. How do you think HUD's, GUI, Fonts, etc are made?

BTW:
>>that is waht every one uses for graphics in games<<
That is kinda of a broad statement isn't it? Look at the NeHe and NeXe forum topics and see which one is more "active." That alone tells me that not "everyone" is using Direct3D for graphics.

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

[edited by - UltimaX on August 6, 2003 9:52:24 PM]
every time i even look at ne directX code.. its just ...it looks like it will take for ever like a while b4 i get close to learning most of it
quote:Original post by TheNerd Tk421
every time i even look at ne directX code.. its just ...it looks like it will take for ever like a while b4 i get close to learning most of it

Then try opengl and see if you like it''s style more.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Yes, DX code can be a little difficult to understand at first. For example, I am not that great with DX, but I am pretty good with math, logic, and game ideas in general. So once I got over the hurdle of understanding DX, which did take a while, and I still have DX related problems here and there, I was finally able to start working on my engine and actually be productive in making computer games.

So what does this all mean? Well, if you want to learn DX to make games, be prepared for a long journey. Game programming takes a long time, and a lot of time out of your day. I personally believe we will see a rise of more powerful game engines/templates/creators in the near future to help eliminate some of learning time.

If you don''t care to learn DX, and just want to make games without learning the itty bitty parts of DX, then you may be better off getting a good engine and working with that.

--Vic--

The future of 2D game development:
Flat Red Ball
I dont really want to jump in and make a game that does everything... i have troubles with creating basic basic basic text rpgs..i wanted to know how to get pictures on the screen of my comp..then i will go into it further.. i want to learn DX... but cant find any good tutorials... especialy ne that work with the compiler i have
There were some good tutorials up at www.andypike.com, but the site has been taken down. I believe it''s still in google''s cache so you can do a search for it and view it that way . Now, if you want to stick to just windows programming for now, then head on over to www.gametutorials.com and look at their Win32 section. It will show you how to create an HDC for your bitmap and blit it to the screen. It''s quite simple once you get it working.

Oh yeah... Whoever thought everyone uses DirectX, maybe you haven''t heard of the Quake games...
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement