• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jocke

Patches???

This topic is 6749 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all! I was just wondering, how does patches work and how do i make my own? If anyone knows of any websites on this subject please post them. Thanks

Advertisement
There's also patches that are simply one file that modifies other file(s). I've never tried doing anything like that but I would imagine the patch maker searches for differences between the old and new file and creates a "script" of sorts that does these changes for each file. The patch could be a script used by a patcher program or an executable that has the "script" hardcoded in it. This is really the only feasable way if the patch needs to be downloaded and the files needing updating are rather large or if you just want to make the download smaller.

Edited by - Sheltem on June 25, 2000 6:37:27 AM

If a lot of functions are based in a DLL, you''ll only have to update the DLL. That makes for a smaller patch size, but programming everything in a DLL is slightly inconvenient (IMHO).

At least that solves the 2.5 megabyte patches I sometimes deal with.

- DarkMage139
"Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!"
"Originality (in games) is the spice of life!"

Ok, now i get it. Thanks guys.

By the way, does anyone know of any resources on the net
which shows how to make a patch.?

quote:
Original post by DarkMage139

If a lot of functions are based in a DLL, you''ll only have to update the DLL. That makes for a smaller patch size, but programming everything in a DLL is slightly inconvenient (IMHO).

At least that solves the 2.5 megabyte patches I sometimes deal with.

- DarkMage139
"Real game developers don''t change the rules. Real game developers don''t break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!"

That''s not _always_ true, since if you would change a function''s name or parameters, then you would have to update all of the other dll''s and exe''s that calls the function in the dll... Right?

- Muzzafarath

Mad House Software
The Field Marshals

Are you all really suggesting that we replace files that need updating?!!? That would be crazy. First, it increases patch sizes and second it gives everybody parts of your program for free.

The real way of doing it is only to distrbute differences. Utilities are available for this. A quick search reveals the following utilities:

Patch Maker: http://www.clickteam.com/website/pm/about_cadre.htm

ResCompare: http://www.macinsearch.com/infomac2/development/res-compare-26.html

MDiff/MPath: http://www.btsoftware.com/index.html

Patch Creator Utility: http://www.softseek.com/Programming/Installers_and_E_Commerce_Tools/Review_25525_index.html

Jacob Marner

Raise your hand if you know COM.

- DarkMage139
"Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!"

Edited by - DarkMage139 on June 25, 2000 10:06:58 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!