Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BizzyBee

What Is API? What does Autodraw do on VB6?

BizzyBee    122
I am still learning about VB6 though... anyone know what API do? How about Autodraw? The book that I have, sucks at explaining on concept of each VB6 application functions. Sound like its a self-story telling and couldn''t stay at one point on this topic. Anyway, does anyone know?? Let me know

Oluseyi    2103
quote:
Original post by BizzyBee
anyone know what API do?
API is an acronym, and stands for Application Programming Interface. An API is a collection of structures (including classes), functions and other constructs defined to enable you write applications that interact with an existing body of code such as an external program or an operating system; or with hardware, though the latter is often referred to as an SDK instead.

quote:
How about Autodraw?
IIRC, autodraw simply means that the form gets automatically redrawn by VB after any changes. This can be computationally expensive, especially if several visual changes occur in response to a single user action.

UberGeek    138
Autodraw maintains a backbuffer for your form/picture box, and doesn''t trigger a Paint event when it needs to be redrawn. This can be good, or bad. Like if it''s a fractal renderer I don''t want to have to recalculate the entire fractal, but simply copy the currently rendered image from the backbuffer (which happens automatically)