Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tubby

Young Programmer, Needs Help

Tubby    122
Hello, I am 13 years old. I have been playing games ever since I got my first computer. Instead of buying all the new Everquests and Dark age of Camelots, I went to yard sales and older computer stores that had games like Spear of Destiny, Doom 1 and 2, Herectic. I played them and beat them on my old Pentium 2 386. I was suprised because they ran nicely. I have been playing Starcraft and Diablo for 2 years. With all the clans and "bots", I picked un Visual Basic. The guys at the local computer store encouarged me to try and learn it know. My Dad went to see his friend at his job, my dad''s friend was a book store manager. I went and looked for a VB6 book. The Game Programming All in One book caught my eye. I knew there that I wanted to make a game. I asked for it and my dad said that he had to come back here the next so He would get it then. I looked it up online and I found out it wasnt that good. I went to library for my summer reading books. I also rented Masters of Doom. I have like 50 or so pages left. Reading what I have and playing the games, I have decided that I would like to learn Game Programming. I know it takes C++. What are some good books, online tutorials, and anything else that will help me. I think it would be cool to play something that I made.

Nik02    4348
quote:
Original post by Tubby

I played them and beat them on my old Pentium 2 386.

We can''t help you with that particular machine

Start slowly, learn c++ first (good start!), do some simple programs to test your programming knowledge.
Once you''re fairly confident with the language of your choice, start planning on programming simple games.

I know, it takes time.
Nobody said it would be easy.

kind rgds, Nik

Tubby    122
Hehe. I brought it back up from the basement. I was so excited it still booted. Then i remebered why it went into the basement. 10 minutes to start up. But It was worth it. What books have you found are helpful?

shakazed    138
Lo there! Well it doesn´t take C++ to make a game. You could do it in any language you´d want, depending of the type of game. I´d recommend C++ though, since it´s so widely used and it´s not impossible to learn. Try searching google for "c++ tutorial" or something and you´ll prolly find a heap. Also check this site´s "articles/resource" section, it has some good newbie tips. But one personal recommendation is that you start out small. Don´t throw yourself into a large project right in the beginning (I learned the hard way ). Hope this helps!

FtMonkey    122
This is a good site to get started with...Oh yea I still love to play games the old games like doom and quake on my pc I never get tired of them even though there old..Anyway whatever you do just keep working on it sooner or later you''ll get it. Also consider buying a new pc so you aren''t limited by speed or anything like that...

Tubby    122
I know it will be a long road ahead. I plan on going to college for programming. That is why I want to learn it. So when i get to college it will be easier so I dont have to grasp everything right then and there.

Tubby    122
quote:
Original post by FtMonkey
Also consider buying a new pc so you aren''t limited by speed or anything like that...

I have purchased a new computer about 2-3 years back. Im planning on getting a new one since this computer has about 5mbs of vid card :/

FtMonkey    122
If you want a good free option you might want to try...DevC++ it's free and it's pretty good, you might want to use an older version if the latest one doesn't work on your pc though...There's MSVC which is microsoft's compiler and as you might have guessed it isn't free you can take a look at it if you can afford it,etc...

[edited by - FtMonkey on August 7, 2003 4:35:39 AM]

sSimontis    100
For your PC, here is a cheap one: I just bought the parts for this one:
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU
Motherboard
GeForce MX 440 64MB Video Card, AGP or PCI
Generic Sound Card
40GB Hard Drive
That should be perfect.
As for lEARNING:
First, use this site! It is a great site when you get stuck. YOu will need a C++ compiler, and I recommend Dev-C++. You can get it at http://www.bloodshed.net/. If you choose this compiler, sign up for the e-mail user group. It is very helpful. I recommend you read C++ for Dummies if you find programming confusing. Otherwise, try Sam's Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days. This book is very popular for learning C++. After you have read one or both of the books, get some advanced books. You can get Bruce Eckel's Thinking in C++ Volumes 1 and 2 online. I don't know a website, but a quick search on google should lead the way.http://www.flipcode.com is a great website for some topics. There is mostly advanced stuff, but one in a while you find something helpful. http://www.gametutorials.com is a great website for learning C++. Just download the tutorials and use them. But when I need to learn something about C++, I love using www.cprogramming.com/. If you have some money to play around with, you can get Microsoft's C++ compiler instead Dev-C++. Microsoft's compiler is Microsoft Visual C++ .NET Standard 2003. If you are lucky, you can get Visual C++ 6.0 on ebay or somewhere. E-mail me whenever you need help! I tried to make links but goofed up and just gave up for that. Before, the Post Reply button was in my post.

Scott Simontis
Big Joke: C#

[edited by - Village Specialton on August 7, 2003 8:16:54 AM]

[edited by - Village Specialton on August 7, 2003 8:20:15 AM]

QzarBaron    370
Yes im in the same shoes you are. Ever since i was very young i loved to play games. I played games on my PC and on my friends Super Nintendo. I always thought that games where made by some ubersuperhero. Then my dad got me a book on LOGO when i was 7. I did not understand much but i did my best. When i finally finished learning LOGO i made a calculator that could add and subtract. Then i learned some BASIC and made stupid little programs with it. After that i made a stupid mistake and checked out a book on MSVC++. The book was so hard i gave up on programming for a while(hey i was 9). Then i found a book at the library called Teach Yourself Visual Basic.NET in 24 hours, it was amazing. Later i bought VB.NET and started working on it. the best part was VB.NET was fully Object Oriented. I began learning complex Object Oriented technices with the simplicity of VB. The problem was i wanted to make games. But i could not becouse there where no books on it. So i decided to learn C++. I read the tutorials at cprogramming.com, about.com, and i read C++ in 21 days(the second edition is free online). I use DevC++ its great and free. Soon im buying VC++. I also read Masters Of Doom, what an awesome book great inspiration read it in a day. right now i have Accelerated C++ being shipped right now. Im planning to read that and read the Effective C++ books. Once i feel really comfortable with C++. Im going to read Tricks of The Windows Game Programming Gurus. Hey im also 13.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Bah, C++ is far better then VB, why don''t you use that instead?
I''m 14 and I''ve been using C++ for 3 years now, it''s not very difficult.

Nerusai    103
Though VB is inferior in my opinion, it is a misconception to think you cannot make a game in it, if you feel comfortable in it it''s best to use VB first, especially if you''re still learning, it will give you a good basis on which to build further on.

Meantime I do suggest getting to know C++ basics.

superpig    1825
VB *can* be good for learning basic programming - control structures, variables, and so on - but it''ll be quite a heavy transition to learn C++ when you finally want to get into high-speed programming (which you usually need for games, because they need to run as fast as possible).

Though I personally started with QBasic (free from the web). I made a scorched earth clone over about two weeks with it, complete with mouse support

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.
Enginuity1 | Enginuity2 | Enginuity3 | Enginuity4

Tubby    122
quote:
Original post by QzarBaron
I also read Masters Of Doom, what an awesome book great inspiration read it in a day. Hey im also 13.

I am also reading Masters of Doom. I think it is excellent. It is another reason why i want to start. So I am going to use Dev C++ and I will get C++ for Dummies hopefully soon.

Aerolithe    122
I have no clue at all how good it is, but a couple of weeks ago I saw a book called Game Programming for Teens at Barnes and Noble. It's only $20 or $30, and it teaches both programming and graphics. It uses the Blitz BASIC language, which I have no experience with. Either way you would eventually want to move on to C/C++, but that book might be useful to you. It teaches all of the concepts you'd need to know, regardless of language.

[edited by - Aerolithe on August 7, 2003 2:10:40 PM]

Drevay    100
Bah, VB is not what you want to learn if you want to make games that don't run incredibly slow. C++ is fast, lean, and wonderful.

I suggest reading some online tutorials (make sure they're standards compliant - ie, do they still use #include <iostream.h> instead of #include <iostream>? if they do, just know that they may not be what you'll be learning in a book. Once you read a few online tut's (and some of the SUCK - they can be really confusing, so don't get discouraged if you don't understand), get a book. I suggest C++ From The Ground Up by Herbert Schildt - 3rd edition (do NOT get the 2nd edition, it's way out of date). C++ from the ground up is a great book, it teaches you the C++ language (more parts in depth than others), and after reading that book about 2 or so times (read it a second time to see how everything links together), start reading on about game programming.

Now when you get past the base of C++, and get into game programming, you have lots of choices as to what API to use with your C++ to make your games. Things like DirectX are great, you can handle input (keyboard, mouse [Direct Input]) output (sound, rumble features [Direct Sound, Direct Input]), 3d (3d games [Direct3d]) 2d (side scollers, even dialbo II is done in 2d [Direct Draw]), and networking for online play. You also can choose other API's like Allegro (handles everything that directx does except for networking) and OpenGL (only 3d stuff). This may be a lot of choices, and you will find out that you can use OpenGL with DirectInput, DirectSound, and so on with your games. I know all of this is very confusing, it was to me at first. The best advice I can give is READ, READ, and don't stop READING.
(Asking questions [like you are doing now] and going on places like #gamedev [the gamedev chatroom] are also nice )

I wish you the best of luck. You sound very motivated, and that's good. You seem to have done a little research, and that's good. You seem to already understand a bit about what's involved, and that's good. If you keep at it, and don't give up (you will want to at times, trust me), you will be rewarded by your hard work, dearly.

I hope you have lots of fun on your quest as a programmer and eventually as a game programmer! Good luck!

:D

EDIT - Dev C++ is great, by the way. But C++ For Dummies isn't. I suggest the book I mentioned above HIGHLY over C++ For Dummies. Even Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days is better than C++ for Dummies. Well, the choice is yours. Good luck.

"Few creatures of the night have captured our imagination like vampires..." Godsmack: Vampires.
(c) 2003 DigiAC - My solo company in progress.

[edited by - Drevay on August 7, 2003 2:31:01 PM]

Drevay    100
Take my advice and steer clear of any basic language. Whether it be BlitzBasic, DarkBasic, or whatever, just stay away. It''s much slower than C or C++, and isn''t that widely used. Just stick to C or C++ (preferably C++ since...C++ is a better C...) and you''ll be A''OK.

Peace.

"Few creatures of the night have captured our imagination like vampires..." Godsmack: Vampires.
(c) 2003 DigiAC - My solo company in progress.

Rocket05    152
heh, i can bet most of the people that come here have a very similar story to that. there are great resources here on this site, including a beginners section.

other gamedev sites you might want to try:
www.flipcode.com -- a little more advanced, but still good
all the gamedev.net hosted sites
the gdse -- game developer''s search engine
and of course the irc channel, #gamedev on irc.afternet.org

i do emphasize what others have been saying about learning basic languages, stay away from them. c/c++ is the mainstream standard right now. in my opinion once you understand c/c++, all other languages will come relativly easy (except for assembly )

just remember, persistance is the key

QzarBaron    370
By the way i just got Accelerated C++ it looks like a great book. I dont think it was a bad idea that i learned VB.NET. VB was very simple. I learned very complex OOP programming techniques that im porting to C++. C++ is not hard once you already know how to program and already know OOP. All i need to know is the basic C++ synthax(and the STL). VB.NET was great i learned all about COM, Database programming, ASP.NET, ADO, Web programming, and even basic game programming with the windows API. I also learned some really usefull programming practices. i learned to use classes and stuctures to organize my code. All of the books i read where awesome. I created reusable objects too. C++ is a piece of cake now. VB.NET is a very powerful and efficient language and becouse its a member of Visual Studio.NET it comes with the same optimizer as Visual C++. So i could create really fast and small code. By the way i also learned C# athough i think its quite useless.

Tubby    122
Well I just downloaded Dev-C++ and the first 4 tutorials for C++ from gametutorials.com. Going over the basics of variables and loops, i see some stuff that is exactly or almost the same as VB6. I also like how you dont have to Decalare Variables. I hope to get some books maybe later today or in a week or so. One of the tutorails made a Counter in that come out in a dos type window. I have been having fun seeing how long it takes my comp to count . Well gotta get back to the tutorials.

QzarBaron    370
well what i did is i did the tutorials at cprogramming.com(really good) and the ones at About.com. Also its a good idea to read C++ in 21 days(just google it and you can read it for free on the internet) now im reading Accelerated C++ its a really awesome book but not for absolute begginers. The book puts all the C++ consepts into practice and teaches you how to use the STL. I really advice you to read it. its quite good.

sSimontis    100
As long as you find a book or resource you like, you are in good hands. Find the computer section at your local bookstore and look for a beginning C++ book. Flip through the first chapter or so and see if you like the author''s style. For under $100, you can get all you need to program in C++. A lot of people insist on Visual BASIC.NET instead, but C++ is the most popular language right now. And lots of programmers tell me VB.NET programmers make a little less then C++ programmers.

Scott Simontis
If it wasn''t for C, we''d be using BASI, PASAL and OBOL