Young Programmer, Needs Help

Started by
23 comments, last by Tubby 20 years, 8 months ago
Hello, I am 13 years old. I have been playing games ever since I got my first computer. Instead of buying all the new Everquests and Dark age of Camelots, I went to yard sales and older computer stores that had games like Spear of Destiny, Doom 1 and 2, Herectic. I played them and beat them on my old Pentium 2 386. I was suprised because they ran nicely. I have been playing Starcraft and Diablo for 2 years. With all the clans and "bots", I picked un Visual Basic. The guys at the local computer store encouarged me to try and learn it know. My Dad went to see his friend at his job, my dad''s friend was a book store manager. I went and looked for a VB6 book. The Game Programming All in One book caught my eye. I knew there that I wanted to make a game. I asked for it and my dad said that he had to come back here the next so He would get it then. I looked it up online and I found out it wasnt that good. I went to library for my summer reading books. I also rented Masters of Doom. I have like 50 or so pages left. Reading what I have and playing the games, I have decided that I would like to learn Game Programming. I know it takes C++. What are some good books, online tutorials, and anything else that will help me. I think it would be cool to play something that I made.
tu1313y on AIM. Im 13 and I want to make my own games! Any advice on a good begginners book or what language to use would be great!
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Tubby

I played them and beat them on my old Pentium 2 386.

We can''t help you with that particular machine

Start slowly, learn c++ first (good start!), do some simple programs to test your programming knowledge.
Once you''re fairly confident with the language of your choice, start planning on programming simple games.

I know, it takes time.
Nobody said it would be easy.

kind rgds, Nik

Niko Suni

Hehe. I brought it back up from the basement. I was so excited it still booted. Then i remebered why it went into the basement. 10 minutes to start up. But It was worth it. What books have you found are helpful?
tu1313y on AIM. Im 13 and I want to make my own games! Any advice on a good begginners book or what language to use would be great!
Lo there! Well it doesn´t take C++ to make a game. You could do it in any language you´d want, depending of the type of game. I´d recommend C++ though, since it´s so widely used and it´s not impossible to learn. Try searching google for "c++ tutorial" or something and you´ll prolly find a heap. Also check this site´s "articles/resource" section, it has some good newbie tips. But one personal recommendation is that you start out small. Don´t throw yourself into a large project right in the beginning (I learned the hard way ). Hope this helps!
This is a good site to get started with...Oh yea I still love to play games the old games like doom and quake on my pc I never get tired of them even though there old..Anyway whatever you do just keep working on it sooner or later you''ll get it. Also consider buying a new pc so you aren''t limited by speed or anything like that...
The monkeys are listening...
I know it will be a long road ahead. I plan on going to college for programming. That is why I want to learn it. So when i get to college it will be easier so I dont have to grasp everything right then and there.
quote:Original post by FtMonkey
Also consider buying a new pc so you aren''t limited by speed or anything like that...

I have purchased a new computer about 2-3 years back. Im planning on getting a new one since this computer has about 5mbs of vid card :/
The vid card mem should not be your primary concern just yet.
Concentrate on writing simple logic tests and games.

Niko Suni

What compilers are used for C++?
If you want a good free option you might want to try...DevC++ it's free and it's pretty good, you might want to use an older version if the latest one doesn't work on your pc though...There's MSVC which is microsoft's compiler and as you might have guessed it isn't free you can take a look at it if you can afford it,etc...

[edited by - FtMonkey on August 7, 2003 4:35:39 AM]
The monkeys are listening...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement