Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ACAC

Pinball games?

ACAC    122
I was thinking about this recently..How would you go about developing a pinball game. Would it be easier to develop in 3D? or 2D? It seems that a whole pinball table has different areas of collision, some which react differently.. Some which fire the ball in a different direction. The only way I can think is to make a pinball table editor inwhich you can arrange the pinball tables items. Blocks.Spheres..With some neat animated textures and pointlights.. Does anyone have any other advice on an effective way to design a pinball style game. Because collision is a must. Thanks Ash.

Razza2003    122
Probably not the responce your looking for, but im guessing that it would be important to know basic physics of angles and the angle of incidence, etc. So when the ball hits the wall it bounces off correctly.

ACAC    122
Oh yeah sure..Thats another issue collision response. If the collision response isnt correct the game would be no fun because you can never judge where its going to go next..

NaliXL    120
And it''s probably easiest to do in 2D. That way, you''ll only have to deal with (not too hard to create) sprites, and some not-too-difficult collision detection. If you''d do it in 3D, you''d have to put a LOT more work in collision detection, and probably a lot more work in the graphics too...

Sneftel    1788
You may want to do the graphics in 3D; it would give you interesting capabilities in terms of reflection, shadowing, etc. that would be more difficult in 2D. However, your physics simulation should be 2D; after all, the ball stays on the table. It''ll actually be more like pseudo-3d, where the ball''s x and y position imply its z-position (ramps, etc) but the ball does not need to keep track of its own z-position. This will easily interface with your physics simulation; just store the slope of the table at each point, and use that as a force vector.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

drekkar    122
well 3d would make probably more work on the graphics part of your game, but the engine should be focusing on the physics part as said, and gameplay. 2d/3d is preference you can do 2d colision in a 3d world, likewise you can simulate 3d colision in a 2d world.
pinball is pinball

however if i was to develope one i would too make a pinball editor, with all of which you said and more :D the best part of development is it can be anything you want it to