Resolving conflicting paths to different versions

Started by
10 comments, last by Kylotan 20 years, 8 months ago
If you compile something on Linux, usually there is an "uninstall" target, too. So you could try "make uninstall" in the source directory and see what happens.

Then you could experiment with "./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc && make && make install" thingy.

Good luck!

--
Bernie Kirschner
www.bkgames.com
Advertisement
So... putting /usr/local above /usr in the priority is good, but I shouldn''t do it for root, right?

I think what confuses me is the little stub executable in /usr/bin, called ''python'' but it''s obviously not the actual python executable as it''s only 9kb in size. I just backed that up and replaced it with a symlink to /usr/local/python for now, and things seem to be working, but I expect a proper path change will be advisable, if I can work out how to do it properly There''s some trickery in one of the scripts I was looking at that puts /usr/games into my path if I''m a user above 500... I need that to use usr/local/games too, so I guess I can kill 2 birds with one stone. I get the impression these Mandrake people don''t expect you to install much new software, if they''re expecting everying in /usr and not /usr/local.

Anyway, I''m basically hoping that at some point, I''ll be able to get an RPM for Python 2.3, which will then upgrade my 2.2 install ''officially''.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL Docs | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost
Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff | Tiny XML | STLPort]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement