Singleton/release build weirdness (VC++ 6)

Started by
18 comments, last by benjamin bunny 20 years, 8 months ago
quote:Original post by fizban75
How about if you try:
..source...

I already tried this approach, but got exactly the same behaviour, strangely enough. Thanks anyway though.

eloso: Thanks for that, but it doesn't work, presumably because the function is in a template.

quote:Original post by Yanroy
...but it seems to me that instead of jumping through hoops to turn off your inlining, you could just define the body of the inst() function in the .cpp file

Yes, that works, but I just like to be able to declare that a class is a Singleton and then use it as such. It seems neater that way.

However, since that isn't possible with VC6.0 I'm forced to abandon the Singleton template altogether. Here's my hacked solution:
//in singleton.h#define SINGLETON_INSTFUNC(type) static type &inst(){static type inst; return inst;}//Foo Singleton declarationclass Foo{  Foo()public:  SINGLETON_INSTFUNC(Foo)}

The end result actually needs less typing than the initial solution, although it isn't exactly elegant.

[edited by - benjamin bunny on August 7, 2003 10:59:41 AM]

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

Advertisement
... and all this for .5 of a FPS. I quit

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

quote:Original post by Yanroy
Also, just what purpose does static have when used on a local variable? It is my understanding that static makes variables one-per-translation-unit, but a local gets deallocated at return anyways, so isn''t it redundant?

A static local variable isn''t deallocated at return. It''s essentially a global which can only be accessed by that function, which is initialised the first time the function is called.

quote:
I already tried this approach, but got exactly the same behaviour, strangely enough. Thanks anyway though.

Really? I have a singleton based on this approach that works fine in VC6, even in Release mode. When you tried it, the pointer was a static member of the class and not a local static variable in the function? I could understand you having the same problem in the second case, but not in the first...
The original post''s problem is probably caused because the order and of creation and destruction of static variables is not guaranteed.

My solution (as I posted above) DOES use templates, has a singleton manager that ensures things are created and disposed in the correct order, and as a bonus is thread safe. Using the code from that link you can make any class a singleton with only 3 or 4 lines of changes in the original class.

There are cases of singleton creation using statics and the simple way of just returning a new instance to a variable if it''s null IF one thread is swapped out after it''s checked for null, another thread also checks for the null and is clear, then 2 singletons get created but then - of course - you loose track of one of them.

I''m not saying it''s a definitive way of doing things, but at least acknowledge that you took a look at the code! :-)
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Another templated singleton class (which I use, btw) is proposed in Scott Bilas''s article in Game Programming Gems, which can also be found here with a useful addendum.

-Odd the Hermit
quote:eloso: Thanks for that, but it doesn''t work, presumably because the function is in a template.

Your are right. But the reason is not because the function is in a template but because vc6 is really buggy. Try compiling it with /Ob0 and you''ll see it''s not inlined any more. (like in debug mode)
I know, this is no solution because now none of your functions will be inlined any more, but it works
quote:Original post by fizban75
quote:

Really? I have a singleton based on this approach that works fine in VC6, even in Release mode. When you tried it, the pointer was a static member of the class and not a local static variable in the function? I could understand you having the same problem in the second case, but not in the first...

Yep. I even tried copying and pasting your code and got the same result.

quote:The original post's problem is probably caused because the order and of creation and destruction of static variables is not guaranteed.

The order has nothing to do with it. A single static variable shouldn't be initialized more than once, regardless of the order.

[edited by - benjamin bunny on August 7, 2003 12:07:34 PM]

Fizban: I just tried your code again, and it worked this time. For some reason VC didn''t build it properly last time. It seems to work now anyway. Problem solved.

Turns out that declaring the inst() method in the classes rather than using a template didn''t work in all cases anyway. The static variable was still contructed multiple times.

quote:
Fizban: I just tried your code again, and it worked this time. For some reason VC didn''t build it properly last time. It seems to work now anyway. Problem solved.

Ah, good to hear. I was a bit suspicious when you first said it didn''t work. ;-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement