Programmers Pay

Started by
17 comments, last by little_red_warrior 20 years, 8 months ago
How much on average would a professional game programmer like the ones who make halo and stuff like that get paid?
«—Ļĩŧŧłę–Ŗęđ–ЩдґґÎðr—»
Advertisement
They don''t get paid. They are kept in holding cells and forced to crank out code for 18 hours each day. Haven''t you ever heard the term "code monkey"? That is what they are. Well they do get free meals included too...
Well, R2D22U2..
lol, very funny

no theory`
no theory`
Ive always heard that although its a decent living, its certainly not a job to make lots of money. Unless your the best, like Carmack who makes a million or more a year (I just made that up right, but im sure its a lot). But of course, if your the best at what you do, your going to get paid a lot no matter what it is. The best garbage man in the world probably gets paid a lot.

Anyway, i think youd get paid a lot more if you were a DBA or of you worked on some office productivity software, or if you worked at a consulting firm or pretty much any other software development job. And plus you wouldnt be expected to work more than about 8 hours a day.

If you get into game development its because you really really like it. You certainly get paid enough to live a comfy life, too bad you dont have any spare time to live that life.

I dont know from experience but this is what ive always heard.
Business application programmers: Decently.
Business application lead programmers: Pots o'' money.
Game programmers: fuckall.
Anyone care to put forward some actual figures?

I''m doing testing/basic level design (placing enemies where the design tells me, etc) for £3.60/hr (minimum wage in the UK), though someone older than me - and taking up a position lasting more that two months - would probably get more.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.
Enginuity1 | Enginuity2 | Enginuity3 | Enginuity4

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I get approximately 19.5 EUR/H (before taxes) for being a freelance graphics consultant/programmer. I''ve been in business for over 7 years now.

Niko Suni

whats that in real money?
if u want the big bucks u got to make ure own company. Check out lonewolf articles
Real money eh? hehe.

I guess you mean pounds or dollars? 13.50 GBP or $22.20

PS: Hey Superpig, which company do you work for, just out of interest?
Life is all about expression, so express yourself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement