Fantacy names

Started by
20 comments, last by Leadorn 20 years, 8 months ago
Hi Do you know any good name generators for fantasy games?
Advertisement
I write my own...
One way to generate names in a funny way is to take a descriptive word, say Destroyed and than scramble the characters to a new word, say Dordytees. Then name something like The Dordytees Forrest or something.
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
Phett en svensk
I don''t know about generators, but when I was into AD&D in IRC I got a HUUUUGE ass text file with names.

You could write a small prog to pick a random name from the file as it is formatted fairly nicely...

Email me at renword at yahoo dot com if you''d like me to send you the list (goes for anyone interested)

------------------------------------------------------------
// TODO: Insert clever comment here.
------------------------------------------------------------// TODO: Insert clever comment here.
jo de finns ju ett par svenskar här på GD :D
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
try here
You can find tons of name generators in several seconds.

Although it always in more interesting to have a meaning behind your names, I find I sift through lists of random names and often come across one that I can put meaning into anyways.

[edited by - LockePick on August 7, 2003 10:37:18 PM]
_______________________________________Pixelante Game Studios - Fowl Language
Eh, I'd just do my own. Dependent on your story you have quite alot of leniency. If you're going along the guidelines of another, be wary of cultural distinctions. For example, D&D elf names shouldn't contain any harsh syllables and should flow melodically as their voices do. if you're going your own make your own cultural distinctions, it'll be real cool.

Or perhaps you're trying to incorporate one for the user to use upon character creation? If so, sorry, no help here.

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...

[edited by - CyberSlag5k on August 7, 2003 10:49:17 PM]
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
Just make sure to replace all S''s with C and all A''s with AE...
do i hear finn bashing in here? for shame...
Fastjack@hackermail.com
Jadå, vi finns, en hel hög av oss faktiskt. Svenskar Ownz!
JRA GameDev Website//Bad Maniac

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement