Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

i1977

Playing AC3s or other surround sound file format

i1977    122
I'd like to give surround sound a try. Can DirectSound/DirectMusic play surround sound files? Anyone has any experience working with AC3 files or any other surround sound file format (I think Windows Media 9 supports 5.1 sound, right?) that you could share? Also, any link to tutorials, references, libraries or the like would be appreciated. Thanks! [edited by - i1977 on August 7, 2003 12:52:33 PM]

Tooko    100
Before you do, make sure your sound card supports 5.1 (i know someone who made a similar mistake) abd try looking into DirectSound3D. I''m not sure if that uses 5.1, but it should as it is 3d sound...

It’s not cruelty if you inject enough amphetamines…

i1977    122
Yes, my sound card supports 5.1 fine.

As for DirectSound3D, it''s not really what I''m looking for. Sure, it will use all speakers if present, but I was thinking more about playing surround *music*, not sound effects. Unless I am mistaken, DirectSound3D takes in a mono sound and distributes that sound to the appropriate speakers depending on where the sound is playing in the 3D world.

What I am really looking for is information on how to play an AC3 file, for example, that is already encoded with all channel information. I don''t want it to have a position in the 3D world, I just want it to play with the surround information it is encoded with.

Thanks!