Video Memory Offset

Started by
11 comments, last by FrancoisSoft 20 years, 8 months ago
Just a quick question: Where is the video memory offset? I want to copy my graphics buffer directly to there. I''m using 24-bit graphics. Hey, don''t forget to visit my page... by clicking here!
Advertisement
first. how you can be using a 24 bpp mode and don''t know how is it the offset of graphics memory ??

second. if you are not programming for msdos or similar, you don''t need to deal with graphics memory offset.
quote:
first. how you can be using a 24 bpp mode and don''t know how is it the offset of graphics memory ??

He''s probably working with C++ and directX/opengl.

-If you see this image I may or may not be online
My website
first. how you can be using a 24 bpp mode and don''t know where is it the offset of graphics memory ??

second. if you are not programming for msdos or similar, you don''t need to deal with graphics memory offset.

FrancoisSoft, your website make me laught, so you are a company that sell console games of nintendo in eBay ? xD
Well, from what I can recall, back in the days when I was programming Vesa on MS-DOS... the offset used to be 0xA000 for graphics mode. I think it was 0xB000/0xB800 in text mode.

That was real-mode and that was dos, where you still had direct hw access.

Any modern OS uses protected mode, and won''t give you direct hw-access that easily... I think you''re better of using a high level api or at least a driver or something, unless you want to do everything by hand.
How do I set my laser printer on stun?
actually it''s a0000/b8000. a000/b800 is the segment address.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
quote:Original post by Wildfire
Any modern OS uses protected mode, and won''t give you direct hw-access that easily... I think you''re better of using a high level api or at least a driver or something, unless you want to do everything by hand.

DirectDraw, IMHO, handles this pretty elegantly.

Niko Suni

Whoops, yeah, those funny additional zeros that caused a lot of pain sometimes... dos addresses used do be 20 bits oO

Anyways, I think it's been what, 10 years? So I think my memory wasn't that bad... =D

quote:
DirectDraw, IMHO, handles this pretty elegantly.

Uhm, DirectDraw == API, or not? So, what's your point. If you're telling that DirectDraw has direct access... well, it's part of DirectX (~part of the OS more or less). I didn't say it's impossible to get direct hw access.

[edited by - Wildfire on August 7, 2003 3:47:47 PM]
How do I set my laser printer on stun?
in protected mode is lineal address 0xA0000, real mode 0xA000

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement