Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mortanis

Optional Arguments

Mortanis    122
Whats an efficient way to have a function take optional arguments? I started out just overloading the function: one function containing both possible things to pass, another if they just pass one (always required) Now i want to add a 2nd optional argument (3rd overall argument), but am unsure the best way to do this. Basically my function is something like: int strHndlMessage(string strText, bool lnfeed, bool iscenter){ }; All it''s going to do is take the text i pass to strText and output it using cout. lnfeed is a bool for if the function is going to put a line feed at the end of the line or not. I want this to be optional, so that if i don''t specifically pass something to it, it will default to false. iscenter is also a bool that i pass if i want the text to be centered so i can do some math and center the text. This also i want to be optional, defaulting to false if nothing is passed. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Thunder_Hawk    314
For your forward declaration, put:

int strHndlMessage(string strText, bool lnfeed = false, bool iscenter = false);

That will do exactly what you''re asking without writing multiple functions.

Mortanis    122
*smacks head*

Yes... exactly. Thank you.

And i have to make sure i order them in the order of most used. I.E. I can''t have argument 2 blank and fill argument 3. doesn''t work like that.

Thanks a million.

Thunder_Hawk    314
quote:
Original post by Mortanis
And i have to make sure i order them in the order of most used. I.E. I can''t have argument 2 blank and fill argument 3. doesn''t work like that.

Correct