Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game Engine Design

This topic is 5243 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve finished LaMothe''s new book, and I''m understanding the fundamentals of 3D programming. Now that I''ve seen how a 3D engine is built I''m starting to understand the DirectX docs a little better, but I do have a few questions about Direct3D. These are geared a little more towards the design and implementation of Direct3D through the game engine I''m going to start building. I think I’m going to use vertex and index buffers together to render the data. When initializing my program should I create one fairly large vertex buffer and one index buffer for that vertex buffer? Then should I create objects with there own vertex lists and index lists, and then after transforming them through the physics engine copy the data into the main vertex and index buffer using some type of loop? Also, if I want to use different materials for different objects, how should I implement it? Should I figure out someway to set a given material for a object, and then use DrawIndexPrimitive to draw just those polygons and then set another material and then render the next object? Should create my objects as linked-lists, and then traverse them with a loop adding their vertices and indexes to the main buffers or create more than 1 vertex/index buffer? Thanks ahead for any help!