Loading a Game-World? HEEELP?

Started by
5 comments, last by Laverok 20 years, 8 months ago
Here is the deal: I know how to store a game world into a file. BUT, how do I actually store the world in my game. For example: Let us say that I am making a tile-based world. Kinda like Ultima 7. OK? And this world is 10 000 by 10 000 tiles big. Yes, I know that is huge, but I like BIG worlds. . Morrowind anyone? Anyway. Would I use an array to store the entire world in there? Or would I divide my world into smaller sections and load the section in where the player''s character is at? I really want to make a BIG tile-isometric-world like Ultima 7 but only 10 times bigger. PLEASE. Any hints at all on how to load your world into a game.
Advertisement
Well, you most likely do not want to do it in one enormous file. I would divide it up into smaller chunks.

-- Steve --
-- Steve --
Hi Laverok,

Dungeon Siege do this quite well, here's scott bilas presentation at Game Developers Conference earlier this year which goes through some of the technology.

Using his method 10,000 by 10,000 is no more difficult than handling 1,000,000 by 1,000,000 or 50 by 50. Which is all pretty cool.

http://www.drizzle.com/~scottb/gdc/continuous-world-slides_files/frame.htm#slide0001.htm

Michael

[edited by - MichaelCarr on August 7, 2003 5:48:51 PM]
You could load the world up from a .bmp file with different colours being different things. Not sure how to do that yet (I''m researching it now) but I know it can be done. I''d also not load everything at once.
I use a system that takes several bitmaps and converts them into a single mapfile, which the game uses. These bitmaps, store, the floor tiles, the walls, doodads, ceiling, special zones, locations of treasure and npc.

You can then divided the world up into several diffrent mapfiles, and load the next map at transitions.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

how do you load a bmp file in the first place?... ne tutorials ive looked at didnt tell me ne thing...
BMPs are easy. There is an excellect, to the point tutorial on the home page right now I believe under snippets.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement