OpenGL and OpenAL

Started by
7 comments, last by zip_256 20 years, 8 months ago
I am using OpenGL and OpenAL in a game that I am making and plan on possibly selling some day if it turns out like I would like. Are you allowed to use these libraries for comercial projects? Do you have to use their logos or something like that? Thanks
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-Brent
Advertisement
I''d like to start by saying *DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT* but it says on the OpenGL site that generally only a hardware company needs to liscense OpenGL, not developers.
Anyone else have an answer, and what about OpenAL? Thanks!
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-Brent
//OpenGL

Applications developers DO NOT need to license OpenGL.

Generally, hardware vendors that are creating binaries to ship with their hardware are the only developers that need to have a license. If an application developer wants to use the OpenGL API, the developer needs to obtain copies of a linkable OpenGL library for a particular hardware device or machine. Those OpenGL libraries may be bundled with the development and/or run-time options or may be purchased from a third-party software vendor without licensing the source code or use of the OpenGL trademark.

For complete information on Licensing, see the SGI OpenGL Licensing Programs page.

//OpenAL

Can''t find anything about a license at the openal.org site.
according to this link http://freshmeat.net/projects/openal/?topic_id=113%2C809 it''s GPL
quote:License :: OSI Approved :: GNU General Public License (GPL)

-----------------------
"Without a sense of humour we couldn''t react to a lot of things"
-----------------------"Without a sense of humour we couldn't react to a lot of things"
Freshmeat is incorrect. According to both my own memory () and the checked out CVS of OpenAL I have on my HDD it''s licensed under the LGPL (Library/Lesser General Public License).

yep.. i''ve just seen references to it being LGPL...
well, who can you trust these days to get the info right??

-----------------------
"Without a sense of humour we couldn''t react to a lot of things"
-----------------------"Without a sense of humour we couldn't react to a lot of things"
So what does all of that mean? Are you allowed to use it in something you plan on selling? Thanks for the help!
quote:Original post by zip_256
So what does all of that mean? Are you allowed to use it in something you plan on selling? Thanks for the help!

Have you looked at this? I''d think it''d give you a hint .

In short: LGPL libraries are allowed to be linked to differently licensed software provided that the user is informed that an LGPL library is in use, the user can obtain the source of the LGPL library from you, and the user can relink against new and/or modified versions of the library (don''t statically link and you''re find on that last one).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement