Need some information (new in opengl)

Started by
8 comments, last by eduardor2k 20 years, 8 months ago
Hi everybody. i''m trying to know where i should start to build my own engine. for example: - Terrain - Objects - collision detection - lighting etc.. Please if you know the answer i would apreciate if you post an answer. Sorry about my poor english. Thanks, Eduardo
Thank you for reading this post, but if you can answer it better. :)
Advertisement
Where r u from? Brazil? :D

"There are people who live in the reality. We recreate it!"
"There are people who live in the reality. We recreate it!"
i dont think that it realy matters that much, but i wouldnt realy know. i have never made a engine, but myself i would start with terrain, and then move to objects, lighting and then collision detection. but thats just my uneducated guess
Well I would start with the Terrain, because allmost everything you want to do would probably interact with your terrain.
(Objects, Collision, Lighting,...)

Then I would do Collision Detection.
To Test it you can hardcode 1 object and replace it with a real Object you program next.
Last Thing thats left is lighting.. and thats only really useful if you have objects to test the shadows.

Just my 2 cents. greets, stryx
Anything that requires finding convex hulls in realtime isstarting to sound like a bad idea. -- John Carmack
Thanks to all who answered.

That helps me a lot.

Thank you for reading this post, but if you can answer it better. :)
Before you get too far with that make sure you got a decent grasp of opengl. I find it''s best to figure stuff out with several small projects than one large one.
Heh, I would have said none of the above. Try writing core (not as fun) stuff first, such as a math library and texture manager. I mean, any worlds you''re gonna load in are gonna use vectors and vertices and will probably use textures.

Also make sure the window code is well tested and suitable to be built upon. Keyboard / Mouse Input is usually something to be done early on too.

Hyperdev

"To err is human, to really mess up requires a computer"
"To err is human, to really mess up requires a computer"
I''m doing one atm and I''d suggest

-texture loader
-display lists for terrain etc
-collision detection
-animation
-lighting
-AI
-the fun stuff, spells, characters, etc
lol
Squalion you left out the most important part of an engine.. the physics! Id work on the physics (collision detection is only part of it, you need to figure out vectors on how to move it and apply gravity and all that fun stuff). Id say lighting is before animation because collision detection is sort of related to lighting if you are using shadowmaps/lightmaps

My fellow Americans I have just signed legislation that outlaws Russia forever. Bombing will commence in five minutes.
My fellow Americans I have just signed legislation that outlaws Russia forever. Bombing will commence in five minutes.
quote:Original post by uber_n00b
Id say lighting is before animation because collision detection is sort of related to lighting if you are using shadowmaps/lightmaps

In what way??

I agree with Squallion.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement