far z clipping with ati cards vs nvidia

Started by
10 comments, last by JoeyBlow2 20 years, 8 months ago
quote:Original post by Jehsup
I doubt that your buddies are using an Nvidia extensions. I develop on an Nvidia G4 TI 4600 and my app runs on an ATI Radeon 9700. Yeah I know, what a way to develop, but thats how we operate around here. Anyway, The ATI cards are crap IMHO. Everything can work and look great on an Nvidia card, but then there are always a ton of "bugs"(for lack of a better term) to "work around" to achieve an identical look on the 9700. I don''t use any card specific extensions at all in my app in case anyone was going to flame me, just straight OpenGL.

I think it boils down to the fact that the Nvidia OpenGL drivers are OGL version 1.4 and the newest ATI ones are 1.3 something. Anyway, it seems to me that their base OpenGL support is not as good as Nvidia.

J

Actually in many cases, ATi''s OpenGL support is better than nvidia''s, because ATi''s implementation follows the OpenGL spec more strictly. For example, the behaviour of GL_CLAMP on ATi cards is correct according to the OpenGL spec: it blends the edges to the border colour, regardless of the border size. On nvidia cards, the border is ignored. This causes an apparent "bug" when viewing some objects (such as skyboxes) on radeon cards when in actual fact the bug was with nvidia''s implementation (and the developer should have used GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE).

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

Advertisement
but as most people have said, there''s very little z precision left as those insane ranges, so 100000 and 1000000 could end up on the same Z value (depending on your near plane of course). Keep the ratio between near and far plane at 100-1000 or so. And don''t draw the sky like this.. just turn off all z testing and writing, and draw a sky sphere or whatever of radius 1 or 10 or so centered at the camera.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement