Math in Computer Science I/II

Started by
2 comments, last by Zao Martyr 20 years, 8 months ago
Im so mad... I went to orientation at my high-school and I was told that I cant take Computer Science I/II becuase I havent fully completed Algebra I (For some odd reason last year I was assigned to Algebra I: Part 1 instead of just the full Algebra I course). Now I gotta take Algebra I: Part 2 before I can begin Computer Science. What makes me so mad is that last year my Algebra I: Part 1 teacher said that I wasnt put in that class because I was slow, but because the Algebra I classes were all booked up and unfortunately my last name starts with a "W" (I even scored a 4 on the Math EOG) HOW AGGRAVATING!!! So I want your opinion... How much math could possibly be involved in a Computer Science I/II elective? I am 90% certain that I know enough to handle this class (after all I am reasonably proficient in C/C++, Win32 API, and some OpenGL) I even had a friend who took the class last year and said that the biggest thing he had to code was a simple console database that could do basic things like file input and output and simple search/sort algorithms. Damn our poor education system!!!
"Yes it is I, the type of egotistical fool that would dare qoute himself." -Myself
Advertisement
Unless you are in an very good school, or have a very good teacher, it sounds like you already know more than you''d learn in a typical a high school computer class. Mine were a joke, and I''ve heard similar accounts from others...

See if you can get an exception made if you think you know enough, though. Talk to the teacher or whoever you need to, and convince them that the rules are stupid so you can avoid being screwed by them (the rules, and the alphabet).
if all the class involves is coding a simple console database and easy sorting algos, why don''t you just learn what you don''t know on your own, and not waste your time on a stupid high school course that''s geared towards the lowest common denominator. chances are if you take it you will be bored out of your mind so you might as well do something challenging on your own.
I would petition to get into the class. Math knowledge is needed but the level of math that you have would easily qualify you for all the things they will be discussing.

quote:
Origionally posted by Geoff the Medio

Mine were a joke, and I''ve heard similar accounts from others...

All the Computer courses offered at my high school were also a joke. I took an intro to computer programming course in high school and I learned nothing. In fact I knew more than the teacher! Oh well. Life gets better in college.

Zao Martyr:
I hope your school has a better program.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement