Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scott Linford

DirectX 9

I am currently using DirectX 6 and am wondering if I should learn the latest version. I have read that versions 8 and above do not use DirectDraw. As I have never done any 3D programming, I wonder if the transition will be difficult. How hard is it to write 2D games in DX 9? I would like to take advantage of bitmap rotation, but my video card does not support it, and I''ve read that it is possible to do in DX 8 and above. Thanks in advance.

If you intend to be any sort of programmer you''re going to need to keep up with the times.

If you''re afraid of learning something new because it might be hard then you need to find a new hobby.

Just get DX9 and start learning.

Ben

[ IcarusIndie.com | recycledrussianbrides.com ]

KalvinB - (to Jessika) do you accept Jesus as your lord and savior

Jessika - Sure I can accept all forms of payment.

You''ll have a lot to learn when you transition to DX9. But it''s well worth it, and learning is the point, after all. I say go for it. DX9 has some sexy stuff.

I like pie.

The transition from 2D to 3D is fun and exciting (at least, I found it to be). As long as you pace yourself, and take time to really understand the new concepts, you''ll be okay. Even if you do want to continue with 2D in 3D, there will be a few 3D concepts you''ll need to learn.

There are many advantages to 2D in 3D, including bitmap rotation and alpha blending. However, you could probably come up with some interesting effects by blending known 3D and 2D techniques together.

I would personally start with directx 9. DX 9 is not *too* much different from 8, and I don''t really see the point in learning something outdated. As KalvinB said (in a way - perhaps a little too harshly), don''t be afraid to try something new!

___       ___       ___       ___       ___       ___       ___       ___   
/\ \ /\__\ /\ \ /\ \ /\ \ /\ \ /\ \ /\__\
/::\ \ /:/ _/_ _\:\ \ _\:\ \ \:\ \ /::\ \ /::\ \ /:/ _/_
/::\:\__\ /:/_/\__\ /::::\__\ /::::\__\ /::\__\ /::\:\__\ /::\:\__\ /::-"\__\
\/\:\/__/ \:\/:/ / \::;;/__/ \::;;/__/ /:/\/__/ \;:::/ / \:\:\/ / \;:;-",-"
\/__/ \::/ / \:\__\ \:\__\ \/__/ |:\/__/ \:\/ / |:| |
\/__/ \/__/ \/__/ \|__| \/__/ \|__|

DX 7 was the transitional version.

You were able to use DirectDraw along with Direct3D making it possible to draw whatever in 2D as a guide and then fiddle with 3D on top of it.

Then, once you get D3D figured out you''re ready to dump DirectDraw altogether. It''s entirely useless. It''s faster and easier to draw 2D with 3D.

And once you''ve dumped 2D you''re ready to use any 3D only API.

Ben

[ IcarusIndie.com | recycledrussianbrides.com ]

Will post for food.