I don't understand. What exactly should I learn?

Started by
11 comments, last by Kamahl 20 years, 8 months ago
quote:Original post by Kamahl
quote:Original post by Hedos
If your looking for path, I can tell you what I have done to become a programmer..

First, buy a C++ book...
If you are serious about becoming a programmer, you have to buy a book, tutorials are not enought...

Then after a few months, once you know C++, if you want to start making games, learn Win32 API.. You only need to know the basics about it, it will be enought.
Then buy a DirectX OR OpenGL book, start studing it, and you''ll be making games soon...

gl

[edited by - Hedos on August 7, 2003 10:12:25 PM]

[edited by - Hedos on August 7, 2003 10:13:14 PM]

Now that''s what I was looking for. Something I can use as a guideline. I did already buy a C++ book (several of them in fact...), and that''s what I''m currently learning.

Two questions: 1) to prevent me from searching months from now when I''m ready, could you tell me where to find Win32 guides/files/whatever is needed?

2) When did you start learning graphics programs? After all, graphics are needed to put the game together.

Thanks.

q. This is a good Win32 tutorial
http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/ . And if you need to find more information about things in there you can search the thing your looking for here http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp.

2.You should start learning graphics API after you read a few books on the language you''re going to be using.

Advertisement
I think the main thing to realize is that its going to take time. It doesnt matter alot what languages you learn, just as long as you program. Once you know one language well, others will be easy to learn.

My advice stick to one thing at a time, dont try and bite off too much. If I had to do it over again, I would just read an intro book on C++, then an intermediate one. Once you have an intermediate knowledge of C++, the rest is just practice and practical experience.

As your getting a firm knowledge of C++, get a very intimate knowledge of an IDE, like VC++ 6. Once you have a solid footing in C++, the door is open; to more learning...

As far as making games, dont hesitate. As soon as you can use cout and cin, do whatever floats your boat. Just consider it fun practice.

As far as making games for a living or for money, your going to have to have a solid foundation in several areas. Areas like math for 3D, artistic ability for in-game artwork, and a good knowledge of the platform you wish to do it on. And, of course, being able to use DirectX or OpenGL is a must. If your going to learn DirectX, learning some Win32 would help alot.

If you want to make 2D games, the learning curve in DirectX(DirectDraw) isnt too bad. If you want 3D, the learning curve is steep. Whatever you do, good luck to you.

BTW- if you want a good intro book on Win32, DirectDraw, and general game creating knowledge; dont hesitate to pick up
"Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" by Andre LaMothe. This book is choked full of great knowlegde on making games.
quote:Original post by Kamahl
Now that''s what I was looking for. Something I can use as a guideline. I did already buy a C++ book (several of them in fact...), and that''s what I''m currently learning.

Two questions: 1) to prevent me from searching months from now when I''m ready, could you tell me where to find Win32 guides/files/whatever is needed?

2) When did you start learning graphics programs? After all, graphics are needed to put the game together.

Thanks.

1). A good C++ gametutorial site is www.gametutorials.com it covers pretty much everything you might need in programming (Win32/OpenGL/DirectX/Sound/Network)..

However, I think Dark Basic is a good thing to start with. Download the trial and play around (I made 3D Pong within a couple of hours first time I used it). When the trial time is over (if not sooner), I recommand you to move on to C++.

2). Okay, there are different kinds of situation here. All gamedevelopers doesn''t know Graphicprograms. If you get a friend to learn like Photoshop you can use him to make graphics while you take care of the programming. This is what most people do. However, for smaller games you could try to teach yourself some graphicprograms, but you might need artistskills. Everyone can''t make good music and good art. (but most people can learn most of it).

----------------------------------------------
Petter Nordlander

"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. The who understand binary and those who don''t"
----------------------------------------------Petter Nordlander"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. They who understand binary and those who do not"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement