If i get a DirectX 7.0 book to learn is that okay?

Started by
3 comments, last by rma_88 20 years, 8 months ago
Hi everyone, i was looking at a review for this book: "Learn Computer Game Programming with DirectX7.0" and obviously it is 7.0, is that okay to learn? I heard that 7 and the newest and 8 even are completely different in many many ways. Should I get this book anyways or can someone recommend me a book to learn game programming with the newer version of DirectX. thanks so much, mitch
Advertisement
Yea, DirectX 7 is a good start. Then learning 8 and/or 9 will be so much easier, because you will have a good understanding of how things work and all you''ll need to do is learn the new features and wam, you''re there.

I know only that which I know, but I do not know what I know.
For people who are just starting I highly recommend DirectX 7. It works on everything. DX8 and 9 don''t run nearly as well as DX 7 on old hardware if they run at all. You also get the advantage of having access to DirectDraw and being able to use D3D on top of it by design allowing you to transition easily.

It''s all concepts. Everything I learned using QuickBASIC I use in my most current projects.

Ben

[ IcarusIndie.com | recycledrussianbrides.com ]

Will post for food.
DirectX 7.0 is great for learning how stuff works. It''s also great because since DirectX 8+ uses Direct3D to do DirectDraw stuff, its very slow when there isn''t any 3d acceleration hardware. It sucks. That''s one reason why I use 7 instead of 8.The other is that it is way simpler and easier to learn.

In other words, yes get a DirectX 7.0 book.

From my limited understanding of DirectX:

I can understand your confusion over the directx verisons that are out there. I bet your book covers a great deal of DirectDraw, so that should be all you worry about. Since DirectDraw hasnt been updated since 7.0, your book will be current with DirectDraw. Since DirectX uses COM, you can access any earlier interface you desire anyway. Even though DirectDraw and D3D were combined after DX 8.0, you can still access DirectDraw 7 from it. So, download the DX9 SDK and dont worry too much of what all the versions mean at this point.

If your book is about D3D then it would be out of date, but as I said, you can still access earlier interfaces.

I hope that helped.

Try reading: "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus", excellent book(not on D3D, though)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement