SDL and MinGW (Search didn't turn up useful answer)

Started by
1 comment, last by BillLeeLee 20 years, 8 months ago
Hi everyone, I''m just starting to program graphical games and started using SDL. Now here''s the problem: I want to use MinGW to compile my programs (I have Visual C++ 6 too, but don''t want to use it), but I can''t find anywhere a tutorial on how to compile MinGW using SDL. I''m not using Msys, because I like to keep everything really minimal, so I know that it''s a little different than if I had msys. Where do I put the SDL folder? What do I set for compile? Should I make a makefile? Thanks, sorry for sounding all nooby, but I''m stumped about this. Thanks. Bill
Advertisement
Extract the include and lib folders to where you installed MinGW.

To compile a program from the commandline, just add ''-lsdl'' to the arguments you''d pass gcc/g++ normally. In Dev-C++ go to project options/parameters/linker and write ''-lsdl''.

You may want to copy sdl.dll from the lib directory to your windows system directory.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
Go to http://cone3d.gamedev.net and look at their first sdl tutorial. It has what you need.

It is foolish for a wise man to be silent, but wise for a fool.

Matthew
WebMaster
www.Matt-Land.com

All your Windows base are belong to Linux.
All your GameDev.net base are belong to Myopic Rhino
It is foolish for a wise man to be silent, but wise for a fool.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement