Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

logic monkey

The jump from console to Win32 API

Can anyone kind of give me a basic idea of their experiences of jumping to basic Windows programming after learning C++ and making stricly console programs? I''m not ready to make the jump. And really, I am resisting the urge to jump too soon but I can realize that I need a solid foundation first. Win32 progs that I have seen, even simple ''Hello, World'' types, look like a whole other language at this point. Assuming I spend the time to learn basic C++, how steep is the learning curve? Assuming a few of you have taken the same path as I have (buy a book or two, read cover to cover, make lots of simple console progs), would you say knowing nothing about C++ and then learning C++ console programming was tougher? Or that learning Win32 after working through learning the console was tougher? I know that was probably a weird question. It''s mostly just a curiousity right now. I know that there are alot more things to consider in Win32. That said, was it an easy transition for you guys or migrane inducing transition? Thanks

I''d say that the initial learning of the basics of C++ was tougher. With C++ there are many concepts you have to learn as well as when to use those concepts but with the Win32 there are fewer concepts and a lot more details (all of which can be looked up at Microsofts WONDERFUL reference - the MSDN).

Qui fut tout, et qui ne fut rien
Invader''s Realm

You''re confusing DOS programs with console programs. Modern console programs *are* win32 and can use win32 API. For instance, make a simple console application (don''t forget to #include <windows.h>) and call MessageBox(). You''re free to use all Win32 functions (including GUI ones). AFAIK the only difference between console win32 apps and GUI win32 apps is a tiny difference in how they''re linked that lets win32 know that a console window should be opened.

As for transition, I don''t know if it''s worth it to learn pure Win32 GUI API. First I''d learn some other win32 stuff to get familiar with how things work in windows. For instance, file manipulation, perhaps threading, etc. For complicated GUI stuff people don''t use Win32 API anyway. If you want to do GUI look into MFC, WTL or .NET Windows Forms (I recommend the latter). The transition shouldn''t be too hard if you start small. Get a "hello world" sample and try to understand every little thing. Then start adding stuff to it. As long as you take it one step at a time you shouldn''t run into major problems.

The Win32 API is old and ugly, but of course that''s just my biased opinion. If you want to do something with graphics, look into SDL or Allegro.

Frankly I never really learned the windows API that well I just learned how to creat a window a long time ago and I have long since just copied and pasted my code...since I mostly futs with OpenGL this is all I need.

quote:
Original post by CodeMaster000
Frankly I never really learned the windows API that well I just learned how to creat a window a long time ago and I have long since just copied and pasted my code...since I mostly futs with OpenGL this is all I need.

Isn''t that what OO''s for?

i started learning windows programming using WIN32 API. well i say WIN32 is hard to debug compared to MFC. if you want i can give you some of my WIN32 API coded programs for you to check out and learn. most of them are fairly commented. i''ve got a cloned notepad, a multipad (MDI notepad), basic window template, menus and such.
drop me an email if you want me to send you some of my codes.

craig_sebastian@yahoo.com

rgds

Try wxWindows

- Magmai Kai Holmlor

"No, his mind is not for rent to any god nor government" - Rush, Tom Sawyer

[Look for information | GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MSDN RTF[L] | SGI STL Docs | STFW | Asking Smart Questions ]

[Free C++ Libraries | Boost | ACE | Loki | MTL | Blitz++ | wxWindows| Spirit(xBNF)]
[Free C Libraries | zlib ]