.Net?

Started by
2 comments, last by Elite19 20 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I am programming an app with msvc++6 and i was wondering if it was worth upgrading to .net. Is there any difference between the 2 if i was to use the win32 api for the gui? Has c++ changed at all, i mean is there new syntax or anything? Can you get a stand alone c++ .net or does it have to run out of the .net framework? Is MFC still in .net or did it get replaced with forms? Thanks Oh, and one last thing, can c# be used for 3d app as good as c++, i looked at the info on it at the microsoft site and from what i could tell c# was mainly used for internet stuff, is that right? --------------------------------------------------------------------- There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those who don''t.
--------------------------------------------------------------------- There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those who don't.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Elite19
Hi, I am programming an app with msvc++6 and i was wondering if it was worth upgrading to .net. Is there any difference between the 2 if i was to use the win32 api for the gui? Has c++ changed at all, i mean is there new syntax or anything?
Can you get a stand alone c++ .net or does it have to run out of the .net framework?
Is MFC still in .net or did it get replaced with forms?

The new C++ compiler is a bit more standards compliant. Personally, I''ve never had any problems compiling old VC6 code with VC.NET. You can still write MCF and plain Win32 apps with VC.NET. If you don''t want to use the .NET platform, don''t use it.

If you''ve been using VC6, then the new IDE will probably take some getting used to. But I think most people would agree it''s an improvement. IMHO, the fixed Intellisense and the enhanced Class View are worth the upgrade.
quote:
Oh, and one last thing, can c# be used for 3d app as good as c++, i looked at the info on it at the microsoft site and from what i could tell c# was mainly used for internet stuff, is that right?

Sorry, but I''ll leave that can of worms for someone else to open.
"-1 x -1 = +1 is stupid and evil."-- Gene Ray
quote:Original post by LNK2001
Sorry, but I''ll leave that can of worms for someone else to open.

I''ll open it . I am currently playing around with c# and managed directx. Any you can definatly make 3d apps with c#. Performence-wise, well we all know the story, c++ i would guess is faster (i have no proof, and dont care to see proof as i dont care). So long as your not making a top-notch retail game, c# will be fine. One thing to know though is that if you use c# you will have to use managed directX as c# is a managed language. It is basicly an ''easier'' to use verion of the regular COM version (except the class documentation is incomplete which may make it harder). I personally like the managed directX because Im an amature who never like all those obscure initalization function calls you had to make with COM directX. It is really simple to get a c# direct3d/directDraw application up and running. Plus the sdk offers some good samples. Some use VB, but translating it to C# is no problem at all because they both are managed so all the function calls are the same.
Thanks guys, just what i needed
--------------------------------------------------------------------- There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those who don't.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement