Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stranger

Shaders question.

Stranger    160
I downloaded an introduction in Hlsl from the Ati and I am hooked.Since I am new to game programming,not programming,I would really like to learn Hlsl thus writing pixel/vertex shaders.Also their is a program nearing release in this site,http://www.mad-fx.com/products/products-shaderworks.shtml,that lets you write shaders and gives you an IDE.Since I want to learn to write only shaders for games and not learn any other aspects of 3d programming like colision detection,physics,AI etc. is this possible?Will I be able to find work only with Hlsl knowledge?Any suggestion would be appreciated.Thanks. [edited by - Stranger on August 8, 2003 5:58:26 AM] [edited by - Stranger on August 8, 2003 5:59:07 AM] [edited by - Stranger on August 8, 2003 5:59:43 AM] [edited by - Stranger on August 8, 2003 6:00:24 AM]

Mark Sheeky    134
It''s going to be quite difficult to test your programs without some rudimentary 3D engine to see the results. As shader assembly takes about 24 hours to learn I can''t see it being very useful as a standalone skill.

Mark