Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cleves

drawing a line

cleves    148
Hey all, I use this to draw a line: // get the dc first HDC hdc = GetDC(hwnd); // create the green pen HPEN green_pen = CreatePen(PS_SOLID, 1, RGB(0,255,0)); // used to store old pen HPEN old_pen = NULL; // select the pen into the context old_pen = SelectObject(hdc, green_pen); // draw the line MoveToEx(hdc, 10,10, NULL); LineTo(hdc,50,60); // restore old pen SelectObject(hdc, old_pen); // delete the green pen DeleteObject(green_pen); // release the dc ReleaseDC(hwnd, hdc); But when i try to compile he writes: error C2440: ''='' : cannot convert from ''void *'' to ''struct HPEN__ *'' Conversion from ''void*'' to pointer to non-''void'' requires an explicit cast How can i fix it? Thanks in advance

Valderman    513
I think the problem is the
HPEN green_pen = CreatePen(PS_SOLID, 1, RGB(0,255,0)); 

line.

Try something like:
HPEN green_pen = (HPEN)CreatePen(PS_SOLID, 1, RGB(0,255,0)); 

"For crying out loud, she has fishes coming out of her head on either side. How can you find this hot?!"
"If anyone sees a suspicious, camouflaged factory being carried across the desert, they should report it immediately."

Nik02    4351
Cast the void pointer to HPEN, like

SelectObject(hdc,(HPEN)green_pen)

where the compiler expects HPEN variable.

EDIT:
Valderman, i was half second late
And my example was bad, but anyway casting is the way to go.

[edited by - Nik02 on August 8, 2003 8:11:28 AM]

hellz    356
This looks like code from Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus, and if so, here''s what I used to fix it:

old_pen = (HPEN) SelectObject(hdc,green_pen);

Hope that helps,

--hellz