....Andre Lamonthe....

Started by
32 comments, last by RS_Hybrid 20 years, 8 months ago
quote:Original post by Myopic Rhino
He''s not funding the XGDX, Premier Press is.
I woulda figured he was funding it or has some huge part in it since his company is xtreme games. isn''t he the founder of it? He founded it, ran it himself for three years, and then decided to drop it, citing a lack of industry support (a lot of people in the game industry don''t have a very high opinion of him). There was no XGDC last year, but then Premier Press decided to buy the rights to it (renaming it in the process) and see if they could make it successful. They''re funding it completely this year.

i figured it was a case like that. thank you for clearing it up for me.
"The human mind is limited only by the bounds which we impose upon ourselves." -iNfuSeD
Advertisement
Alright, some things to say.

I think that saying the man lives in the 80s is a bit unfair.
First, regarding "outdated techniques," realize that a good majority of his books right now are at least 5 years old. I''m not talking about things from Prima Tech like Dave''s book; I''m talking about the ones he himself wrote - I just looked at Windows Game Programming for Dummies and it was released in 1998.
Now obviously that doesn''t explain why he uses (mostly) C instead of C++. Some people still have preferences though. I''ve seen professional programmers who are hard pressed to move away from ADA in favor of C++. If you''re writing a book, you''re obviously going to go with what''s familiar. Anyone experienced in C/C++ can, of course, take the code and covert it at his leisure. Also, some may think it''s easier to explain code in C.
Andre also very well explained his motives for having his Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus cover software rasterization instead of hardware. The fact is that, while most of the market does use a 3D API, this isn''t always an option (for instance, the console market). Furthermore, understanding the concepts behind something is far more important than understanding API calls.
Finally, saying that he is stuck in the past because of his new console is simply inane. The guy isn''t rolling in the type of dough (and perhaps experience) it would take to develop a high-end console. Does anyone remember how long it took for the PS2 to come out? The guy is making an ernest attempt to provide something for the community here.

That being said, I enjoy his books to some degree. It is true that he rehashes a LOT of material. From what I heard about his job as an editor (maybe Dave can verify this), he even required that the Prima Tech series include all that basic information in a good number of books. There is understandable to some degree (he wanted to hit a wider audience), but it starts to get ridiculous after a point.
Also, his designs could use a bit of work. I''ve even found blatant errors/inconsistencies in his code - acceptable up to a point.

When it comes to beginner''s books, there isn''t much that compares. I strongly recommend 1 or 2 of his books to people starting out, but after a point you''re no longer a member of his target audience.

Anyhow, that''s just my piece. :-)

--Brian
quote:Original post by Nairb
Alright, some things to say.

I think that saying the man lives in the 80s is a bit unfair.
First, regarding "outdated techniques," realize that a good majority of his books right now are at least 5 years old. I''m not talking about things from Prima Tech like Dave''s book; I''m talking about the ones he himself wrote - I just looked at Windows Game Programming for Dummies and it was released in 1998.
Now obviously that doesn''t explain why he uses (mostly) C instead of C++. Some people still have preferences though. I''ve seen professional programmers who are hard pressed to move away from ADA in favor of C++. If you''re writing a book, you''re obviously going to go with what''s familiar. Anyone experienced in C/C++ can, of course, take the code and covert it at his leisure. Also, some may think it''s easier to explain code in C.
Andre also very well explained his motives for having his Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus cover software rasterization instead of hardware. The fact is that, while most of the market does use a 3D API, this isn''t always an option (for instance, the console market). Furthermore, understanding the concepts behind something is far more important than understanding API calls.
Finally, saying that he is stuck in the past because of his new console is simply inane. The guy isn''t rolling in the type of dough (and perhaps experience) it would take to develop a high-end console. Does anyone remember how long it took for the PS2 to come out? The guy is making an ernest attempt to provide something for the community here.

That being said, I enjoy his books to some degree. It is true that he rehashes a LOT of material. From what I heard about his job as an editor (maybe Dave can verify this), he even required that the Prima Tech series include all that basic information in a good number of books. There is understandable to some degree (he wanted to hit a wider audience), but it starts to get ridiculous after a point.
Also, his designs could use a bit of work. I''ve even found blatant errors/inconsistencies in his code - acceptable up to a point.

When it comes to beginner''s books, there isn''t much that compares. I strongly recommend 1 or 2 of his books to people starting out, but after a point you''re no longer a member of his target audience.

Anyhow, that''s just my piece. :-)

--Brian

I''m wondering,although i know that (to him) its probably easier if he showed noobs how to program games without structuring or optomizing his code (properly to help), wouldn''t that be more beneficial, after all some of you did say that a lot of his optomizations in his books are pretty much ridiculous

no theory`
no theory`
Andre also very well explained his motives for having his Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus cover software rasterization instead of hardware. The fact is that, while most of the market does use a 3D API, this isn''t always an option (for instance, the console market).

The major consoles such as Gamecube, Xbox and PS2 have API''s I don''t know where you get the idea they don''t. Xbox uses a modified version of DX, the cube uses it''s own interpretation of an OpenGL like language, and the ps2 provides all that''s needed to access the 3d hardware on the machine.

Even the GBA has something similar to an API, functions provided by nintendo to allow you to access the hardwares functionality with minimal effort. API''s are common in todays market.

The only area which would require a software renderer now a days would be the theoretical arena, and the hand held arena GBA, or Cell phones, PDA''s ect. However this is not going to last very long. The NGauge is the first of many 3d accelerated cell phones on the way, the Play station portable (PSP) will also have 3d hardware acceleration. This is where the future is heading, not software rendering. And the inevitable question of "3d hardware acceleration requires power" pops up...yes this is currently a stumbling block however in case you didn''t notice the first fuel cell laptops just hit the market promising battery life of up to 20+ hours. It won''t be long before these hit other mobile devices as well.

Furthermore, understanding the concepts behind something is far more important than understanding API calls.

Agreed but buy a real 3d refrence book such as Real Time Rendering. They are both the same price and RTR v2 covers modern things such as explaining the rendering pipeline and how shaders work. This book will suit you long term rather than just short term.

Andres'' a nice guy but there''s no doubt in my mind that he''s lost touch with the professional game development community. And I don''t mean to poke fun at the man, however I do think he needs to establish his links with the community again and possibly take the time to get out of his old mindset where C++ is slow, shifting by 1 is better than profiling your code, and all your logs are written out to a file rather than doing any error catching with asserts or catch''s.

As you will note I did say his books were a good starting point. However after you''ve read one I can''t reccomend you buy another. Andre is one of the few authors who writes about the subject. But the fact of the matter he is not the only one, and there are better books to learn from.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement