Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sSimontis

.NET free compiler

I have heard that you can get the .NET compilers for free, command line only. Is this true? I have searched msdn.microsoft.com and microsoft.com, and have found no answers so far. I need it because I use Visual C++ 6.0 Introductory Edition. Scott Simontis If it wasn''t for C, we''d be using BASI, PASAL and OBOL

Its available in the .NET sdk, which you can get at msdn.microsoft.com read the docs and search for some tutorials to figure out how it works. You''ll probably be compiling from a command line (hint: write batch files) but you can still edit in Visual C++ if you want.

I believe the C# and VB .Net compiler come with the .Net frameworks, and the C++ compiler with the .Net Sdk.

"I woke up sweating and clutching my pillow. Thankfully the powerful and reassuring visage of Optimus Prime staring back at me from my pillow case served to ease my frayed nerves. Like the giant robotic father I never had he always knows just what to say" - Gabe, Penny-Arcade

Alexandre Moura

also look up sharp develop (I think that's the name of it) it is a free gui for C#. You still need the framework sdk though

[edited by - djkno3 on August 8, 2003 2:36:18 PM]

I have a new problem. How do I work it? I installed the download. I then searched and found the directory it is in. It helped a lot, but I couldn''t do anything. I clicked on the Setup icon, and got two errors.
Error 1:
Setup Cannot Continue. Unable to load a required parameter from the initialization file Autorun.inf.
Ok
Error 2:
Usage: Setup.exe[filename]
Ok

Scott Simontis
If it wasn''t for C, we''d be using BASI, PASAL and OBOL

I might just wait three years. By that time, I will buy Longhorn, at least one or two of the VS components, and a 64 bit processor.

Scott Simontis
If it wasn''t for C, we''d be using BASI, PASAL and OBOL

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CSC.EXE <-- Free C# compiler

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\VBC.EXE <-- Free VB.Net compiler

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\VJC.EXE <-- Free J# compiler

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\JSC.EXE <-- Free JScript compiler

Alas, no free C/C++ compiler?

I went to check on this, and am a little suprised to find that .net isn''t supported on win ME. I''ve stedfastly refused to upgrade past ME. My friend has a 1.2 ghz which runs at about the same speed as my winME (504mhz overclocked) box, running winXP... And I''m really not interested in all the effort it takes to strip XP of all it''s eyecandy to make it run decently. So i guess my question is: will it run on ME, even though it''s not supported?

XP isn''t to hard to configure for dino machine performance. I''m running XP on a celeron 400 with 64mb SDRAM an it runs better than 98 ever did. If you explore the control panels a little you''ll find its no problem. msconfig.exe from the command prompt helps out quite a bit to.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displaylang=en

XP is way better than ME in any respect, but .NET will also run on 9x and ME

quote:

XP is way better than ME in any respect, but .NET will also run on 9x and ME

Yeah, XP is a far better OS than ME in pretty much every way - you should defintely upgrade if at all possible. Barring that, at least move to Windows 2000 - still far above and beyond ME in terms of quality, and should run better on older systems than XP.

That said, the only MS OS the .NET frameowrk/tech doesn''t work on at all is Windows 95, AFAIK.

quote:
Original post by Nypyren
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CSC.EXE <-- Free C# compiler

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\VBC.EXE <-- Free VB.Net compiler

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\VJC.EXE <-- Free J# compiler

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\JSC.EXE <-- Free JScript compiler

Alas, no free C/C++ compiler?

Check \Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\bin. It gets installed with the SDK.

quote:
Original post by noVum
No?
That''s Visual Studio and not the .NET SDK

The .NET SDK installs cl.exe, link.exe and a couple of dlls in that location, regardless of whether you have VS.NET or not. I don''t know why it isn''t put in the same location as the other compilers - historical reasons maybe, or maybe because it needs to integrate with the Platform SDK in some specific way.

AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.

quote:
Original post by noVum
I''m absolutly sure that the Microsoft C++ Compiler is NOT free

I am sure you have an good explanation for how cl.exe got onto a computer on which I have only installed the SDK then... And while you are at it, you might want to explain it to Bruce Eckel as well.

(You know, stomping your feet and shouting "No! No! No!" isn''t the same as debating...)