• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thankqwerty

Am i a C programmer or C++?

This topic is 5427 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been learning C for 2 years(part of my course). And i dont know anything about C++ at all. Until recently i tried to write my own game, so i downloaded some of the online tutorials(from http://www.gametutorials.com/Tutorials/Win32/), got myself a copy of VC++ 6.0 and started my game in WIN32. I''m about 1/3 of my game now, and i did everything in my normal C fashion, but i save my code with .cpp extension so i thought i''m programming in C++. As a result, I thought C and C++ isn''t that much different after all, at least i when i do the same thing my program still works. Then i came to this forum and see lots of post about C/C++, how different they are, why u should learn one instead of the other, the bad habbits when u switch from one to another. I''m a bit confused now(my code is very much similar to those tutorials),so am i programming in C or C++? does the extension of the source code file matter? If i am programming in C now, should i change to C++? and how can i know i''m actually doing it in C++??? As english is not my 1st language, u may not be able to understand what i mean, but basically my main question is if u give me a piece of code how can i tell if it is a C++ code or C code?

Advertisement
Yes it is a bit confusing at first. The creator of the language, Bjarne Stroustrup, wanted to make C++ as compatible with C as he could in order to make converting over from C to C++ as easy as possible. I highly recommend his book "The C++ Programming Language." Have a look at Bjarne's FAQ, titled "What is the difference between C and C++."

Oh, as an additional note. You are probably compiling your code as C++ code (this is what VC++ sets as the default, though you can change it to compile as C code). I've seen a lot of so called C++ code that is actually just C code compiled as C++ code. Since C++ is closely compatible with C though and compiles most C code it makes the line between the two a little more fuzzy. Here is one example of code that compiles in C++:

C Code (uses the <stdio.h> library)

char* name = "John";
printf("%s", name);

C++ Code (uses the <string> and <iostream> libraries)

std::string name="John";
std::cout<<name;

Oops, html mistake.

[edited by - lshadow on August 8, 2003 4:41:50 PM]

When people say "C or C++?" most of the time what they're really refering to is "procedural or object-orientated?".[1] Since C++ is a superset of C, you could take any old C project and compile it with a C++ compiler, whether it complains about the file extensions is a irrelevency.

So the real question is, are you programming in an object orientated style? If you have to ask the question, odds are you're not - go and google it and look into the subject, even if you decide not to you'll know you've made the right choice.

[1] : Yes you can program procedural C++, or object orientated C, or several other options, but thats what the typical meaning is.

[edited by - OrangyTang on August 8, 2003 2:03:05 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by OrangyTang
Since C++ is a superset of C

Nitpick... but try compiling this (pointless) C program with a C++ compiler.

#include <stdbool.h>
#include <stdio.h>

struct my_struct
{
int a;
int b;
int c[50];
}

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
_Bool someBool = 1;
long long bigNumber;
int a,b;
struct my_struct stuff = {.b = 50, .a = 123};
struct my_struct moreStuff = {.c[20] = 33};

a = b = 5;

int myArray[a*b];

int * class = (int[]){1,2};
int * restrict class_ptr = class;

printf("Hi, welcome to %s.\n", __func__);

return 0;
}

quote:
When people say "C or C++?" most of the time what they''re really refering to is "procedural or object-orientated?".
"Object-oriented." "Orientated" has to do with sense of direction.

C++ is not a strict superset of C, unfortunately. C99 introduced features that break C++, and I expect the two languages to continue to grow apart, so don''t get too used to the notion. Furthermore, the differences in C and C++ programming don''t refer simply to procedural vs OO but also to notions of type safety, common language constructs (do you need to typedef a struct? yes in C, no in C++) and conventions (C supports some interesting function prototype syntaxes; doesn''t require that a function declared with a return type necessarily return a value - an assumption is made, which is anathema to C++''s focus on typesafety; widely performs implicit type conversions and so forth). Standards-enforcing C++ compilers will spew dozens of warnings and errors on standard C.

C++ is "multi-paradigm" - OO isn't a requirement to write C++ code. You could easily write procedural code and it would still be C++ code (an example is above using the iostream & string libraries).

A .c extenion is supose to indicate that it is C code, and cpp or cxx indicates it is C++ source code.

If the code compiles with a C compiler, it's C code. If it compiles with a C++ compiler, it's C++ code. (If it compiles with lots of different compilers, it's portable code.).

The same code can be both C and C++ code.

[edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on August 8, 2003 4:06:42 PM]

quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
quote:
When people say "C or C++?" most of the time what they''re really refering to is "procedural or object-orientated?".
"Object-oriented." "Orientated" has to do with sense of direction.

/me slaps forehead.
Damn it, i can''t believe i let that silly typo in. Consistant thoughout though :S

I get the impression that everyones nitpicking (valid points, but none the less nitpicking ) will probably confuse the OP even more though. I guess the conclusion you could draw is that its not a black and white issue.

quote:
Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
C++ is "multi-paradigm" - OO isn''t a requirement to write C++ code. You could easily write procedural code and it would still be C++ code (an example is above using the iostream & string libraries).

A .c extenion is supose to indicate that it is C code, and cpp or cxx indicates it is C++ source code.

If the code compiles with a C compiler, it''s C code. If it compiles with a C++ compiler, it''s C++ code. (If it compiles with lots of different compilers, it''s portable code.).

The same code can be both C and C++ code.

I totally agree with you, my C AsciiRis game (in my sig) turned out to be C++ by accident and now its technically C++ because it doesn''t compile with the .c extension.

(i realize i could have avoided this by using the .c extension to begin with)

An ASCII tetris clone... | AsciiRis

Guest Anonymous Poster
dunno about your compilers guys, but as soon as I compile a file named *.c it''s automatically compiled as a C program and not a C++ program...

Oh, and Ive always thought of what you call C++ as C/C++ and not C and C++ as two separate languages. When the day comes when you can''t write a program with C syntax in C++ I will gladly call "C/C++" only C++...

Also std::string and anything inside the std namespaces has nothing to do with the language C++ except that it''s written in C++. std::string or whatever isn''t part of the C++ language until they are keywords or considered as datatypes just like char or int or whatever....

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
When the day comes when you can''t write a program with C syntax in C++ I will gladly call "C/C++" only C++...

That day has come.

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>

typedef struct {
int n;
int array[];
} MyStruct;

int main(void) {

long double _Complex a = {1, 1};
_Bool b = 1;
long long c = 1;
int n = 50;
long array[n];
for (size_t i = 0; i < n; i++) { array[i] = i; }

int template = 5;
int bool = 5;
int new = 5;
int class = 5;

MyStruct *something = malloc((sizeof *something) + n * sizeof *something->array);
*something = (MyStruct){ .n = n };
memcpy(something->array, array, sizeof array);

}

All perfectly legal C (syntax and otherwise), but I don''t think it''s legal C++.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!