What is .NET?

Started by
10 comments, last by sSimontis 20 years, 8 months ago
I want to know what .NET really is. Is it just a name by Micorsoft, or does it have special features? I have been looking into C++ .NET for months now, but don''t really understand the concept behind .NET, so I haven''t bought it. Can someone please tell me what .NET is? Scott Simontis If it wasn''t for C, we''d be using BASI, PASAL and OBOL
Scott SimontisMy political blog
Advertisement

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net

[edited by - neurokaotix on August 8, 2003 5:03:51 PM]
It's a platform, similar to java's virtual machine.

EDIT: That picture is racist. Prepare to be moderated.

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on August 8, 2003 5:07:38 PM]
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Standing by for immediate moderation.

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
.NET referes to the following:

The Visual Studio IDE .NET
The new programming language C#
The .NET framework
The CLR (common language runtime)

The idea is to make it easier for developers to code programs, either server side or client side, by using the .NET platform. A .NET platform is a system running the .NET runtime. At the moment MS are only supporting Windows as a .NET platform, but for Linux there's a project called Mono.

The idea is that "the language doesn't matter". So you can use whatever language you want when developing .NET programs with the .NET framework. MS of course, are pimping its own C# for the .NET, but they are supporting C++, Visual Basic and J# while other companies make available for you COBOL, Delphi etc.

When developing .NET apps you use the .NET framework, which is a new API with libraries for GUI, text handling etc. etc.

The whole .NET thing is in direct competition with Sun's "SUN One" and IBM's "WebSphere" for enterprise developing, but it has experienced a rather slow start – but I’m sure it’ll catch one with time. But we’ll see.

EDIT: Poor wording.

"Yeah, I would've killed you, but I'm glad I didn't - the paperwork is a bitch"

[edited by - rohde on August 8, 2003 5:45:42 PM]
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
quote:Original post by cowsarenotevil
EDIT: That picture is racist. Prepare to be moderated.
eh, how?

"Yeah, I would''ve killed you, but I''m glad I didn''t - the paperwork is a bitch"
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
I just put that image there because 99% of Village Specialton''s posts are negative and so that''s enough out of him.

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
quote:Original post by neurokaotix
I just put that image there because 99% of Village Specialton''s posts are negative and so that''s enough out of him.

I agree.

To Village: Use the search, I have noticed that alot of these posts have come up.
quote:Original post by rohde
eh, how?

Look up Pouya''s skeleton thread.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
quote:Original post by Village Specialton
I want to know what .NET really is. Is it just a name by Micorsoft, or does it have special features? I have been looking into C++ .NET for months now, but don''t really understand the concept behind .NET, so I haven''t bought it. Can someone please tell me what .NET is?

<FONT COLOR=BLUE>Scott Simontis</FONT>
If it wasn''t for C, we''d be using BASI, PASAL and OBOL

You really should conduct a search before you post. That topic has been covered and covered and covered.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement