When you're designing your design doc....

Started by
7 comments, last by Srekel 20 years, 8 months ago
Do you have everything on one long page, or do you have a Table Of Contents that link to other pages? Which would you prefer reading? I''ve had a long HTML document for as long as I''ve been writing the document. I guess it''s nice if you want to read through everything, but it''s kind of "ugly" to have all your text in a long document. Plus, it''s hard to find anything - both when reading and editing. Now I''ve written a TOC which makes more sense than what I have now but I don''t think it would be good in a "long document" format, since I''ll have long tables in the middle and I feel that when I read a design doc, I want to read text, and have the tables at the bottom of the page as an appendix. Anyway this all doesn''t really matter THAT much, but I still like to have a clean and easy to read and navigate document. So, do you think I should A) Go for a long document but with the new TOC and use within-page links on the top of the page B) Long doc, have the TOC on a frame (I kind of hate frames though) C) First page is TOC, user has to navigate back to it to go to a new area D) ....
------------------"Kaka e gott" - Me
Advertisement
I use one word document. But I don''t know what you should do.

When will someone invent a good cross between hyperlinked documents and word-like editing? Or are there such things but not in the price range of most people?

Cross-referencing in MS word is a pain and the document map isn''t the best thing out there either (most people easily mess it up), but I''d rather use that than HTML.
I'd use within page links, to the diffrent heading and then have a link back to TOC link at the end of section.
That what I did with mine. Take a look at it and judge for yourself, wether or not that how you want to do it.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I'm a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

[edited by - TechnoGoth on August 8, 2003 8:36:54 PM]
I''ve used MS Word''s Table of Contents and Index features. Surprisingly enough, they work fairly well, with minimal impact to the writer (and that impact really has the benefit of enforcing a certain style, in my opinion). And they''re built in to Word, so you don''t have to pay any extra.

-Odd the Hermit
My Treatments are written as one document. I write my Specifications (actual one finished, a second in Progress) also as one Document, but I make a Table of Contents with Hyperlinks which point to setted Marks. That works quite well in Word and helps me a lot in overworking my Documents over and over, looking for Details and Faults. Even it is good if I have special Details to look after, when I have to answer Questions by my Developers or by Myself.
I tried using the automatic Table of Contents and Index maker of Word, but I am not used to use Headline styles, and I made bad Experience in a Test with it, so I manually make the Table of Content.
Well I made a new layout.

This is the old one:
http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~srekel/real/Real Design Document.shtml

And this is the new one:
http://hem.passagen.se/srekel/files/real

I''m pretty sure I like the new one better...
------------------"Kaka e gott" - Me
maybe its just me computer, but I tried your new design doc and only the link to the combat page works, also it takes along time to load.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

I write such stuff in LaTeX, can be compiled into virtually any format, and it''s easy once you''re used to it.
After doing a few docs, I''ve come to like this format the best:

Chiaroscuro Design Doc Version 1.8

This is by no means a finished doc, but it has come along way from my previous design doc format. It has less pictures for the time being.

-~-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement