Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sailorstick

Post your version 0.2 bots here

Provide links to your bots on this thread. Don't post anything else apart from a short intro to your bot. I'll start another thread for discussing other people's bots. [edited by - Sailorstick on August 8, 2003 8:24:46 PM]

JBot

Doesn't have any AI capabilities yet, because I wanted to get the mapping and motion tracking routines working before I make it autonomous. You control it with the arrow keys. Shift will walk instead of run, Ctrl will strafe instead of turn.
The numbers it displays as a taunt are (in order):
x coordinate, y coordinate, bearing, number of visible objects (trees + rocks), number of mapped objects (trees + rocks)
All coordinates are relative to its starting position.

The main feature is that if you make it walk into a tree or rock (even back into one), it should be able to tell, and therefore not change the x or y coordinates. It uses the positions of known rocks, trees and walls to do this. It's not perfect though. I think the ranges may need tweaking so that accumulated errors don't mess it up, and of course, there are situations (if there are no walls or objects in sight) when it can't tell if it's moving or not, so it assumes it is. It doesn't handle wall sliding properly yet either, so if you do make it slide against a wall, it will get confused.

John B

PS: Try maneuvering it to back into an object it hasn't seen yet - in theory, it should still be able to tell, as long as there's something else its FOV that it can track by, like a wall.

Edit: If JuNC (the creator of JamBot) wants me to change the name to be less similar, I'd be happy to oblige - as long as I can think of a new name by then

[edited by - JohnBSmall on August 9, 2003 11:31:25 AM]

quote:

Edit: If JuNC (the creator of JamBot) wants me to change the name to be less similar, I''d be happy to oblige - as long as I can think of a new name by then

Don''t worry about it, I''d hope most people around here are smart enough to figure out the difference

"technogoth-r.tripod.com/shinobi_v5.zip" Shinobi version .51

Here's my Bot, it still has some fatal logic errors, but it works. Although I haven't been able to test it against any real bots yet. Although JBot was very useful for debugging.

Made minor change to my bot, so that it no longer trows grenedes.
-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I'm a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

[edited by - TechnoGoth on August 9, 2003 5:06:47 PM]

[edited by - TechnoGoth on August 10, 2003 1:47:09 AM]

[edited by - TechnoGoth on August 10, 2003 1:48:27 AM]

[edited by - TechnoGoth on August 10, 2003 1:49:48 AM]

quote:
Original post by TechnoGoth
Although I haven''t been able to test it against any real bots yet. Although JBot was very useful for debugging.

Lol. Glad it''s useful for something

John B

Well, if you just want a hand controlled bot to test with, try HandBot.

Controls are:
+ Up/down for forward or reverse movement
+ Left/Right to turn
+ Shift to go slower (and turn slower)
+ Control to strafe instead of turn
+ ''A'' to increase the grenade firing angle
+ ''Z'' to decrease the grenade firing angle
+ Space to fire
+ ''1'' to select gun
+ ''2'' to select grenades

It uses the taunt to tell you what the current firing angle is (starts at 25 degrees)

John B

quote:
Original post by Sailorstick
TechnoGoth, your link doesn''t work.

Maybe that''s the "fatal logic error"?

I''ll post mine...if I ever get around to writing one...apathy has set in.

here's the version of my bot that i got working before the 0.2 release...(i recompiled it since the 0.2 release so it should work). i've been making lot's of progress since this posted version in the area of navigation/obstacle mapping, but i haven't had a chance to reintegrate it into DustBot.

let me know if it works!

A headache, ancillary; an hourglass auxiliary.

"something witty, blah, blah, blah"
--That One Witty Guy (remember? that one dude?)

[edited by - drreagan on August 10, 2003 3:51:23 PM]

[edited by - drreagan on August 10, 2003 3:52:55 PM]

[edited by - drreagan on August 10, 2003 3:53:51 PM]

[edited by - drreagan on August 10, 2003 3:55:04 PM]

quote:
Original post by shadowman13131
*blink blink* Someone care explaining or posting a thread to what these are for?

for the Gamedev: Arena AI beta competition.

take a look at the Gamedev: Arena thread off of the main forums page.

A headache, ancillary; an hourglass auxiliary.

"something witty, blah, blah, blah"
--That One Witty Guy (remember? that one dude?)

I beat Dust bot pretty good now... a bit more tweaking and I'll post mine up for download for you to re-tweak your strategy . So far he's the toughest bot I fought, of course, I just wrote my bot this morning .

--- Edit ---
Crap, tweaked my code, and now Dust beats me and I can't figure out how to get it back . Oh well, back to the drawing board.

[edited by - Ready4Dis on August 10, 2003 9:29:26 PM]

quote:
Original post by drreagan
here''s the version of my bot that i got working before the 0.2 release...(i recompiled it since the 0.2 release so it should work). i''ve been making lot''s of progress since this posted version in the area of navigation/obstacle mapping, but i haven''t had a chance to reintegrate it into DustBot.

let me know if it works!

Hey drreagan, nice work with DustBot. Dang! My bot has been able to defeat DustBot, but it''s quite tough as it always keeps on strafing left and right which brings LiquidIntell''s accuracy down to near zero.

Also nice work with switching weapons during combat. The thing with LiquidIntell is if it detects a grenade in it''s field of view, it runs away from that grenade, thereby losing sight of the enemy for that moment until it turns back.

Well, I kinda like made LiquidIntell to mirror DustBot''s strafing so as to make it easier to kill. But it''s still very tough anyways. Good job!

InitGames Software
http://initgames.t35.com/

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by smart_idiot
<a href="http://www.geocities.com/piratespeak/thecurse.html">This</a> is my unbeatable bot. I''ll get around to writting a real bot eventually.

your bot crashes the arena. when the source is compiled under VC++, after correcting for syntax errors (needs __cdecl inside of the left paren for the function pointers) then your bot receives an access violation at the point where it attempts to replace the vtable''s Fire pointer with its own. looks like whatever compiler/linker your using doesn''t put the vtable into a protected segment, whereas VC++ does.

Works for me, and that's all I care about. Probably because I haven't bothered to upgrade past Windows 98. I didn't compile GDArena, and the vtable was created by it, so I doubt it has anything to do with my compiler. But fear not; when I get around to making a real bot, it won't try altering anything it isn't supposed to.

[edited by - smart_idiot on August 11, 2003 11:45:22 PM]

Here is how far i've gotten with MY entry, it's only an average bot overall, but it's functional (cept it can get stuck on rocks and trees). Dragon88 0.5

(Stolen from Programmer One)
UNIX is an operating system, OS/2 is half an operating system, Windows is a shell, and DOS is a boot partition virus

[edited by - Dragon88 on August 14, 2003 11:13:24 AM]

[edited by - Dragon88 on August 14, 2003 11:13:55 AM]