Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guybrush1138

.3ds to .x file

Guybrush1138    122
Hi. I have been exporting .3ds files from Hash Animation Master 2002, and using Conv3ds.exe to convert them to .x files. The problem is, there is no MeshMaterialList. If I use the -m command, I get the MeshMaterialList, but none of the textures are in said list; only the default white material. The only idea I can come up with is to make a utility, or type in the face number material assignments manually. Somebody help!

flery    186
sry for offtopic but do the 3ds files contain animations or just a static mesh ? because if problems with getting animation into x files or 3ds files.

I''ve been wondering about the conv3ds/convx files in the directx8.0 sdk - everytime I try to double click on the icons to run them, I see a dos-type console window and some code quickly scroll across the screen, and then it closes without letting me do any conversion. What could be wrong?

GimpMaster    132
I''ve always had a problem with conv3ds.exe? It seems like the only way that i''ve ever gotten it to work is to convert a model that has a texture map already as a .bmp I know there is a command line argument for turning all texture references into .bmp but it hasn''t worked.

So finally i just stoped using .3ds and had my friend export from maya with the X File exporter. Works alright but i swear there are some bugs in the exporter. Like absolute and relative texture references.

AN_D_K    158
I don''t like conv3ds at all. btw, if you want to use it you run it via. the dos prompt and type "cons3ds filename.3ds" and you get an x file in that directory. There are other complicated things to do but I don''t tend to explore them as I don''t like the program.

It would be nice to use X files but I tend to just use 3ds in my programs. I think there are plugins about but I''m not artist and I don''t want to shell out for a decent 3D program.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
why dont you just get the .x exporter plugin for 3dsmax?

its in the dx8 addon package

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Check out http://www.obsidiangames.com -- they have a .X exporter for Animation Master.